Layer File (.lyrx) Import Issue

08-24-2023 12:58 PM
wlsgudwls123
New Contributor II

So, I provided a .lyrx file containing the area (polygon) of interest to a 3rd party. I received the data as a .lyrx file but I'm having an issue importing it to ArcGIS Pro. When I bring in the layer using the "add data" button, it creates an empty layer with an error. I see an exclamation point next to the layer, which prompts me to set the data source. So, I click on the "set the data source" and look for the .lyrx from the folder where I saved it. Thing is... files in .lyrx type won't show up and I can't set the source.  Can someone help me import this file to ArcGIS Pro?

I also read that I need data to open .lyrx file. Is this true? Could it be because I'm trying to open data that I don't have stored on my computer? Maybe I should ask the 3rd party to share me their data in a different format?

4 Replies
TristenDenton4
New Contributor III

You could try creating a folder connection in your catalogue pane, then loading it by drag & drop. That's how I've opened .lyrx files in the past. 

0 Kudos
TristenDenton4
New Contributor III

A lot of the times the difference in representation for a .lyrx and .shp file is that a .lyrx file is already symbolized to display whatever is trying to be conveyed while a shapefile is just baseline symbology.

0 Kudos
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, it's because you are trying to open data that you don't have stored on your computer (or is stored in a different location than the layer is looking for the data in).

A layer file (*.lyrx") does not contain the data, it just contains a link to the datasource (e.g shapefile, geodatabase feature class or raster etc) plus the symbology, definition query, labelling etc. 

The exclamation point is telling you that Pro can't find the datasource the layer file is linked to. It doesn't mean that Pro can't find the layer file itself.

You should ask the 3rd party to share their data as well as the layer file, either in it's original format or as a layer package (*.lpkx).