Limit Geocoded Intersection Candidates to City in which intersection is located

11-14-2023 08:07 AM
JoeHeggenstaller
New Contributor III

Is there a way to limit geocode suggestions for an intersection to only show a candidate for the city in which the intersection is actually geographically located?

Our 911 Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system leverages Esri Address Point and Street Address locators for providing call location addresses through a customized interface, not via ArcMap/ArcGIS Pro. When a 911 call taker enters a street intersection that is near a city border they are provided with two address candidates. We want to only show the candidate for the city that the intersection is actually located within. We don't want the adjacent city candidate to be presented as an option. It is a waste of precious time if the user unknowingly selects the adjacent city candidate, then zooms to the map to see the geocoded result is not at the physical intersection (Think motor vehicle accident). Depending upon the location of an incident different agencies will respond to a call, so it is important that we pick the correct city.

"Washington" is the "correct" city in the example shown below. Millbrook Village is the adjacent city candidate, which we don't want to be presented as an option. (This example is illustrated using ArcGIS Pro, but the CAD system uses a customized interface.) Purple is the city boundary.

ArcPro-Geocoded-Intersection.png

I tried various Match Options combinations of "Match with no Zones" and "Comprehensive Zone Matching" settings and rebuilt the locator, but they don't seem to have any affect on the results. I still get two candidates for the intersection.

Anyone been able to solve this issue?

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 3.2, but this issue has been happening since the ArcMap 10.X days as well. The reference dataset is a road centerline file with address ranges and left/right city attributes as well as the other road name information, of course.

(Note: I am not able to create an "intersections" dataset that has all the "valid" intersections by municipality. We don't have control over the underlying programming framework or implementation in the proprietary CAD software.)

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
0 Replies