Locator not supported

Jump to solution
03-29-2024 02:00 PM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I've searched this community time and time again and have never found a good solution.  How do I get rid of the warnings when I open a pro project and it says locator not supported.  It is a strange error and it continually loads bad locators even when I remove them and save.  How do I stop this.  Its clearly a hard coded bug because the aprx is apparently corrupt but how do I fix it?  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Two things to try based upon Esri Support Services cases:

1.  Log out of ArcGIS Pro and sign back in.  In some cases, this fixes the issue.
2.  Sometimes the *.aprx is referencing an unsupported locator, say 10.6.  Find that locator and move it to a new location.  Then start the *.aprx in question.  Does the error message persist?

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Two things to try based upon Esri Support Services cases:

1.  Log out of ArcGIS Pro and sign back in.  In some cases, this fixes the issue.
2.  Sometimes the *.aprx is referencing an unsupported locator, say 10.6.  Find that locator and move it to a new location.  Then start the *.aprx in question.  Does the error message persist?

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Logging out and signing back in seems to eliminate the error messages for now but the locators in question keep coming back.  Currently they have the red exclamation mark next to them.  I no longer use my own and just stick to the World Geocoding Service as it serves my needs.  

How do I find the locators in Windows Explorer?  I search for loc and lox files and the locators in question don't appear to come up in the searches.  Maybe I'm searching in the correct directory though.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Sounds like we're getting there.  So you can find the ArcMap locators in the following directory - C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.8\Locators - are there any there?

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

They weren't in there, only default ones so I guess I'm good to go there.  The locators keep reappearing every time but they aren't causing the loading issues anymore.  I'm going to go ahead and mark this as a solution but I may reopen if I run into any issues again.  Thanks Robert!

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Sounds great Josh - sorry we were not able to find these other locators but at least the warning message is no longer appearing.  All the best!

0 Kudos
JCGuarneri
Occasional Contributor II

I've been having this issue as well. I discovered (accidentally) that the locator references are also stored in the individual maps. I happened to get the "Maps" section expanded before the errors started and noticed that the locator errors would come in clusters, then pause. Additional maps would load during each pause,

after which the locator errors resumed.

I came up with a Python script to remove all the disabled locators from each maps definition. The assumption is that if the locator was enabled, it was valid, otherwise it wasn't supported. Of course, this would remove any locators that you manually disabled. So far, it seems to be working. It does not remove the unsupported locators from the project. That needs to be done manually. Be sure to save the project after running the script.

#get current pro project
thisProject = arcpy.mp.ArcGISProject("CURRENT")
#list all map objects
maps = thisProject.listMaps()
#find the "enabled" locators and assume all others aren't supported
#replace locator list with enabled only
for m in maps:

mdef = m.getDefinition('V3')
    loclist = mdef.locators
    newList = []
    for l in loclist:
        if l.enabled:
            newList.append(l)

mdef.locators = newList
    m.setDefinition(mdef)

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Interesting and thank for sharing the Python script as well!  Josh - are you able to run the script to see if removes the invalid address locators?

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Well, I tried but I don't really know how to run that.  I don't have much experience running scripts.  I pasted it into a python window and I have no idea if it did anything.  I'm sure I'm missing something.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
JCGuarneri
Occasional Contributor II

That should be all you need to do, and then just save after. To double check, you can try  So far, it seems to have worked for me. However, I'm not quite ready to declare success. As you noted above, the notices don't seem to crop up every time the project is open. So it may be a false positive.

0 Kudos