Non-interpolated area by Kriging Interpolation

02-12-2024 10:27 AM
DOEEYANG
New Contributor

Hi all,

I am trying to interpolate the emission data points that I gathered from pastures, and I've put 100 data points but some areas are shown in white color (could not be interpolated; also not able to be classified in class). I tried to remove all the 0 emissions and saw if that worked, but it was not interpolated. But most of the points have data. I don't understand why it cannot be interpolated.

Is there any way to make these data points interpolated by Kriging? 

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RonaldHaug
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Doeeyang,

When we did interpolation in class we presented four different methods and compared them. Is there some reason why you need to use Kriging over one of the others which may work better for your particular situation?

Or can you set the sensitivity of your interpolation to be less sensitive? Or go get some more data points where your holes are?

Here's an in-depth esri help article to read which should help you make a better informed decision.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/spatial-analyst/an-overview-of-the-interpola...

Let us know how you're doing and post some pictures of your work. A picture helps us better understand your situation. I use the Snip tool on Windows, copy and paste to the post, like this: 

RonaldHaug_0-1707795665509.png

0 Kudos
EricKrause
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @DOEEYANG,

Can you clarify how you are performing kriging?  I'm guessing the Kriging tool in the Spatial Analyst toolbox, but there are a few different versions.

Without looking at your data, my guess is that these areas with no predictions are outside the neighborhood of your input points.  Assuming you're using the tool above, check the "Search radius" parameter.  If you are using a "Variable" neighborhood, check whether there is a "Maximum distance" value. If using a "Fixed" neighborhood, check the "Distance" value.  If your cells with no predictions are further than this distance from any input point, the value cannot be interpolated.  Using a sufficiently large distance should allow you to interpolate everywhere in your study area.

Please let me know if this does not resolve the problem or if you're using any of the kriging methods in Geostatistical Analyst.

0 Kudos