Place unplaced annotation (feature-linked)

2 weeks ago
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.9.12; file geodatabase:

I have a line FC and a feature-linked annotation FC. When I create a line,  an annotation feature gets automatically created, which is expected. But the annotation feature's STATUS field is 'Unplaced'; an annotation is not displayed in the map.

How can I place an unplaced annotation in ArcGIS Pro?

Video:

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I think the issue is because with feature linked annotation, the piece of anno should be coming from the line feature class first.  Not the annotation feature class first.  Try this workflow instead:

1.  When you create the new line feature class, add a field called Name then follow the same workflow as you have in the video.
2.  In the LINES layer, create a new line and in the Attribute pane, type a value for the Name attribute field.
3.  In both the LINES layer and the LINES_ANNO layer, you'll see the attribute value.  In the Name field for the LINES layer and the Text String Field in the LINES_ANNO layer.

0 Kudos
JesseWickizer
Esri Contributor

The video was very helpful. You created an annotation layer with the default map scale - 1:100,000 but your map was zoomed in to 1:107. At that scale, there is not room to place the label that is generated by these default labeling settings so it goes unplaced. 

If you repeat your process but at a map scale closer to 1:100,000 the annotation feature should have room to be placed.

0 Kudos