Point features in shared feature service not necessarily in same location as in ArcGIS Pro!

03-16-2022 07:12 PM
CherylTrine
Occasional Contributor II

I have a feature class in an enterprise geodatabase which I shared as a web layer with the settings Reference registered data>Map Image>Feature.  The layer uses custom symbols from .svg files.  Unfortunately, the feature service has moved some points.  Why?

Here is the layer in ArcGIS Pro

CherylTrine_0-1647482260602.png

Here it is in Enterprise Portal

portal.png

Note the two red ovals in the Enterprise Portal.  In the one on the left, the point has been moved to the middle of the building, in the oval on the left, the two blue circles should be essentially on top of each other, and reversed in north-south position.  This is not a coordinate system issue--that wouldn't reverse the position of two points and move them away from each other.

Any idea what is going on?

Cheryl

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Perhaps a geographic transformation issue???

0 Kudos
CherylTrine

No, both the web feature layer and the basemap are in the same coordinate system.  Besides a geographic transformation issue shouldn't move points that are originally <1' apart in opposite directions!

I'm guessing it has something to do with the symbology.

0 Kudos
CherylTrine

Well, I've learned a little bit.  It has to do with the symbology, particularly the rotation of the symbols.  If I share a map with unrotated symbols, the point features are in their correct locations, but if I then turn on rotation in the resulting web feature layer, the points move.  Strangely, if I then turn off rotation,  the points do not return to their original position, but go to some other position! 

Does the Map Viewer determine the center point of a symbol differently than Arc Pro?  That is the only thing I've thought of so far that may be causing the problems.  Any other ideas?

CherylTrine

It's been awhile, but got a little time to play with this.  The issue has something to do with the determination of the "center" point.  I modified the symbols in ArcGIS Pro to include a circle marker, centered on the small circle, that is sized to cover the "wings" of the symbol.  I thought I would be clever and make it transparent.  ArcGIS Pro and the map image layer worked fine (as they always have), the feature layer still got it wrong.  So then I colored outline of the large circle.  This worked, but obviously, it is not the symbol I need.

CherylTrine_0-1679600956401.png

The symbol is supposed to represent the view of a security camara.  Some poles have more than one camera. The symbols have been created so that the small colored circle is centered on the the location of the camera.  Anybody have any ideas how I can force these eccentric symbols to rotate around this point?  

0 Kudos