Point Shapefile to CAD File - Circles in Cad instead of Points

Jump to solution
07-18-2022 01:02 PM
AustinGootee
New Contributor III

Hey Question for y'all, anyone know why when i convert a point shapefile to a dwg file via the Export to CAD tool, i get circles instead of points. I've tried changing the symbology to X's and changing the symbology size. Still get the circles. 

As reference I'm using ArcGIS Pro 2.9 and Autodesk DWG TrueView 2022

AustinGootee_0-1658174290801.png

AustinGootee_2-1658174383407.png

AustinGootee_1-1658174298150.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PrasantaBhattarai
Esri Contributor

Hello Richard,

This is not a bug, but a symbol applied to the point for the CAD layer. You can easily reset the style of the points by using the "DDPTYPE" command in AutoCAD and selecting the style you want to display the point with. 

PrasantaBhattarai_0-1665774659937.png

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Prasanta. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DavidForbuss1
Occasional Contributor III

Yep I had that happen too.  Something seems to have changed with the export process.

0 Kudos
AustinGootee
New Contributor III

Any idea on what version of ArcGIS Pro it used to export to just points? I may try rolling back to that version to see if that would fix it.

0 Kudos
DavidForbuss1

He said he's using 2.9, but I'm on 3.0 and it's happening with that too.

0 Kudos
RichardHowe

I believe this is a bug. I'm seeing exactly the same behaviour on ArcGIS Pro 3. Even when adding a CADType field to attributes and specifying POINT in the field (which should force the geometry) does the GP tool produce large circles instead of points. In direct contrast to what the technical help suggests (i.e. points become points, lines become lines)

Copying in a couple of the dev guys who've helped me before

@CraigWilliams @KoryKramer 

Hopefully ESRI can comment on this or suggest a workaround as it's very frustrating that something which used to work, no longer does!!

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Richard,

I don't work with CAD data, but looked in our Support database and didn't find a bug describing this behavior. It may be and it hasn't been logged yet...

I did read through some cases and technical articles that talk about the Entity field being defined as circle.

For you and others on this thread, did the points you're working with in Pro originate from CAD; i.e. imported into Pro from dwg or another CAD format and you're now exporting again? Check that Entity field if present.

I can ping somebody on our CAD team, but we may need additional details to troubleshoot. If you feel this is a bug, the best thing to do is to contact Technical Support. I'll let you know if I hear back from our dev team on this.

0 Kudos
RichardHowe

Kory thanks! No, the data is a native ArcGIS feature class. I did wonder if any fields might accidentally be upsetting it, so I created a copy with every field stripped out and I get the same result. Also running it from a  shapefile instead of a feature class.

In the meantime I am relying on QGIS to export as points

0 Kudos
PrasantaBhattarai
Esri Contributor

Hello Richard,

This is not a bug, but a symbol applied to the point for the CAD layer. You can easily reset the style of the points by using the "DDPTYPE" command in AutoCAD and selecting the style you want to display the point with. 

PrasantaBhattarai_0-1665774659937.png

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Prasanta. 

WWalker
New Contributor III

@PrasantaBhattaraiDo you know if this can be overridden with reserved CAD fields? (e.g. https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/cad/reserved-cad-fields-for-dwg-and-dxf-files.htm)  I was getting circles and am now suddenly getting points with a different seed file.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
RichardHowe

@PrasantaBhattarai Thank you for this. I can confirm this is the issue we were experiencing. Thank you for the help. I'm off to drag our CAD operative over hot coals...

0 Kudos