Prevent label overlap in multiple dataframe layout

Jump to solution
03-07-2024 01:49 PM
Labels (1)
Anne-MarieDubois
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am trying to find a way to prevent label overlapping in a layout that contains multiple dataframes. Basically, I want my labels not to be hidden by another frame

AnneMarieDubois_0-1709848188258.png

Is there a way to use weights (or something) and not to convert labels to annotations?

Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Because labels are part of the Map View and a property of a layer, they are drawn in that Map View only.  In the Layout View, when you add a new Map View on top of the first one, each Map View is independent of each other with regards to label placement.  The only thing I can think of is convert labels to annotation or use Map Notes instead of labels.  Map Notes allow for user input and you can move them anywhere you want whereas labels are dynamice and the placement is controlled by Maplex or the Standard Labeling engine.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Because labels are part of the Map View and a property of a layer, they are drawn in that Map View only.  In the Layout View, when you add a new Map View on top of the first one, each Map View is independent of each other with regards to label placement.  The only thing I can think of is convert labels to annotation or use Map Notes instead of labels.  Map Notes allow for user input and you can move them anywhere you want whereas labels are dynamice and the placement is controlled by Maplex or the Standard Labeling engine.