Pro upgrade broke python

10-25-2017 04:01 PM
Trippetoe
Occasional Contributor III

I have been running Pro 1.4 for a while. I was able to run my python scripts from a command line (using propy) as well as other IDEs like Visual Studio Code.  Yesterday I upgraded to Pro 2.0.1 (I used the Upgrade process of the ArcGIS Pro UI). Now i cannot run my python scripts from the command line nor from my IDEs.  The error message is 

'python.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

When i open the Python view in ArcGIS Pro, i see the following error message:

Failed to Initialize Python Interpreter

When i open the Python Package Manager in ArcGIS Pro, it shows that my project is using the arcgispro-py3 environment, i can see many installed packages, etc.

My path variable has the following settings at the end of the path string:

...;C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3;C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\Scripts;C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\Scripts;C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python

Any thoughts or suggestions on what i can do to get my python scripts running again?

Thanks.

3 Replies
TL2
by

I am having the same issue.  It seems that upgrading from 1.4 to 2.0 removes the python.exe. 

When you do a fresh install of 2.0 the python.exe does reappear however, when we do this we are unable to install ArcGIS API for Python.

We are only able to install API for Python on Pro version 1.4.  

Once we upgrade to Pro 2.0 we are unable to upgrade API for Python from version .3.

0 Kudos
Trippetoe

I resolved this issue by 'repairing' the install of ArcGIS Pro.  Start > Control Panel > Add or remove programs > ArcGIS Pro > Repair. I have no idea what the Repair operation did, but i am able to run python in Pro now.

0 Kudos
TL2
by

Are you able to install Python for API version 1.0 or higher?

0 Kudos