Problem with Add Join Table to Map

Jump to solution
02-08-2024 02:26 PM
Labels (1)
MayThongthum
New Contributor

Hi, 

I am creating a temporal data visualization by following this guide: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/visualize-temporal-data.htm

I an having problem with joining the table to the layer. There are 34 records in the Provinces (the input table) and 682 records in the transposed table (the join table). Despite having the common variable (province name), all records with the same territory name did not match. Only records from the first year 1993 showed up for each province, so the total records in the joint table has only 34 records. The join was not one-to-many join as described in the guide document. What could have gone wrong in the process at my end? 

Thank you for your time to this matter!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

@MayThongthum Table joins don't support one to many join that's why you are getting only 34 joined records. You may want to look into `Relate`. Now another way to do this would be to first use the `calculate geometry attributes` to add the `x` and `y` coordinates to the provinces dataset. Then use the join tool to bring over the `x` and `y` coordinates to the transposed table. Then use the `XY Table to Point` tool to convert the transposed table to a point feature class. Now use the `spatial join` tool to join the transposed point  feature class to the province feature class using `one to many` join type.   

The answer to this post can also help, ArcGIS Pro Join One to Many Join by Attribute

Question | Analyze | Visualize

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

@MayThongthum Table joins don't support one to many join that's why you are getting only 34 joined records. You may want to look into `Relate`. Now another way to do this would be to first use the `calculate geometry attributes` to add the `x` and `y` coordinates to the provinces dataset. Then use the join tool to bring over the `x` and `y` coordinates to the transposed table. Then use the `XY Table to Point` tool to convert the transposed table to a point feature class. Now use the `spatial join` tool to join the transposed point  feature class to the province feature class using `one to many` join type.   

The answer to this post can also help, ArcGIS Pro Join One to Many Join by Attribute

0 Kudos
MayThongthum
New Contributor

Thank you very much! This is very helpful.

Bud
by
Notable Contributor

Aren't joins in ArcGIS Pro one-to-many? 

Add Join (Data Management)

Bud_0-1707945574527.png

Whereas joins in ArcMap were one-to-first.

0 Kudos
Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

With Relate, yes.

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

My understanding is that joins are also one-to-many too.

Maybe @JonathanNeal could comment.

0 Kudos