Problem with creating a Fishnet

Jump to solution
11-13-2022 03:35 PM
Lucy
by
New Contributor II

Hi, 

I am having trouble with producing a fishnet for a sampling area that I want to produce sampling points/locations for. 

I have used a polygon (in NZTM coordinates) as the extent (polygon of the boundary of the sampling area). I have also set the cell size width and height at 70m and this is the distance I want between sampling locations.

This seems to make a box to the side of the boundary and no fishnet? Screenshot attached. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi  DanPatterson,

I made a copy of the shapefile to testEdit, added it to the map, added a field and calculated a value of the new field without saving the change.  The tool warned about the pending edit but ran successfully because the tool doesn't use any feature information from the template feature class.  I used 100 and 100 for cell width and height this time.

DanLee_0-1668526885861.png

View solution in original post

12 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Are you expect negative Y values?

0 Kudos
Lucy
by
New Contributor II

I am hoping for a grid to be generated within the boundary of the polygon

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
Lucy
by
New Contributor II

Template extent = BoundarylinePolygon (which then generates most on the inputs)

Cell Size width = 70

Cell Size Height = 70 

Geometry Type = Polygon

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You have pending edits.  Try finishing off the edit session and saving/discarding what you were working on first

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Lucy,

You said "This seems to make a box to the side of the boundary and no fishnet?"

Could you measure the dimension of the box? Is it 70m x 70m or approximately 700m x 700m which seems the template extent?  Looking at the trees in the background imagery, it's more like 70m x 70m. I am not sure why it only created one cell of the expected 10x10(?) fishnet.  You can share your data, if possible.

What version of ArcGIS Pro are you using?

0 Kudos
Lucy
by
New Contributor II

Hi Dan, 

I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.0.1. Attached are the boundary shape files if they are of use?

0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for the data. It helped. Here is what I did:

1. Created a new project and added Port VilaBoundary.shp to the map. 

2. Checked the layer's Properties and saw the projection and the Extent as shown below. Notice that all extent values are positive numbers. Which match the "N" (north) coordinates displayed at the bottom of the map (by the red arrow).  I am not sure why the y coordinate at the bottom of your map shows "S".

DanLee_2-1668485700414.png

3. I used "Browse..." option to browse to and select Port VilaBoundary.shp. The Template Extent values other necessary coordinate values were populated automatically. Specified 70 and 70 as the Cell Size Width and Height, and Polygon as the Geometry Type. The tool ran successfully and the fishnet was created as shown below.

DanLee_4-1668486991209.png

DanLee_5-1668487505368.png

Could you try the above and see if you get the same fishnet?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Dan, what happens if you run your workflow but don't have saved/pending edits?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos