Problems with ArcGIS Pro v 1.2 snapping.

03-23-2016 01:25 PM
KevinRubalcaba
New Contributor II

I am attempting to use ArcGIS Pro more since I do like the ribbon layout and the faster speeds compared to ArcGIS desktop.  Although there is a lot left to desire with ArcGIS pro, I find that I am able to complete some of the more general editing tasks with Pro.  However, I have uncounted a serious problem!  Snapping just sometime stops working when using Editing tools like Vertices, Reshape, Split, Create etc.  I can generally use an Editing tool once after my initial startup and then, when I go back to use the same tool a second time, snapping is just....gone!  And by gone, I mean that I am unable to snap to anything at all.  I have snapping turned on and am well aware of all the intricacies involved with the snapping environment.  It seems to be a pretty serious bug with Pro, one that is making it almost impossible to perform basic editing tasks.  I have yet to figure out how to get snapping to return with any reliability. Sometimes I can change tools or unselect and reselect and snapping magically returns, but many times I have to restart Pro and go thru the whole process again.  Am I the only one experiencing this!?  I contacted ESRI support yesterday but have yet to hear anything from them. 

I am disappointed that such an integral part of basic editing is not working correctly in what will (I can only assume) eventually replace desktop.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
KirstenPinkston
Esri Contributor

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your post. I've attempted to reproduce what you're describing and haven't seen the same behavior, but I think performing a screen share with Support is definitely a good way to investigate the environment, maps, data, etc.-- especially if you've ensured snapping is enabled, etc.  I've looked into your open case and it looks like the analyst reached out to you yesterday via email for a convenient time to call, but I've since asked that an analyst call you to follow-up.

Thanks again!

Kirsten

KevinRubalcaba
New Contributor II

Oh, thank you...I suspect my email may be out of date.  I will check that now.

0 Kudos
RobertoDeDeus
New Contributor II

I am experiencing this same exact issue. Closing out the application and re-launching it seems to solve the problem. But this work around is a serious productivity killer.

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Roberto,

Sounds like it!  I'd recommend you call support if you have a reproducible case of this so they can help out.  We need to find a repro case so a developer can debug it here in Redlands.

0 Kudos
RobertoDeDeus
New Contributor II

I am not sure if this is coincidence but it seems like whenever snapping stops working, the following procedure seems to get it working again without having to close and restart.

Save edits

Clear selections

Go back to the home tab and use the identify tool

Go back to the edit tab and edit again.

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Roberto,

Do you have a good consistent repro case for this behavior (snapping stops working)?  The dev team would like to try to determine what's going wrong here.

Regards,

Jeremy W.

0 Kudos
RobertoDeDeus
New Contributor II

Unfortunately, no. It was kind of random. There was no specific trigger.

0 Kudos
CatherineKent
New Contributor

I am having the same problem, using version 10.2.2. desktop. It often seems to happen when doing something outside editing, like turning another layer on/off. The advice to re-start editing does work, but is very time-consuming, especially since I have to keep turning layers on/off in order to see them but not snap to them.

0 Kudos
CatherineKent
New Contributor

Having explored further, the snapping seems to work if the one being snapped to has already been saved - so 'save edits' between each new polygon.

0 Kudos