Rasters won't display after being added to mosaic dataset

Jump to solution
04-03-2023 09:40 AM
MiniR
by
New Contributor III

I am attempting to mosaic 12 rasters. All rasters have been exported to the geodatabase as .tif . After creating the mosaic dataset, I attempt to add all 12 rasters. The process is completed quickly, but only 6 of the rasters are displaying in the mosaic dataset.

Here is a screenshot of how the mosaic dataset displays:

MiniR_0-1680539879208.png

This is how all the images SHOULD display:

MiniR_1-1680540005703.png

The other images do not render at higher or lower scales. All 12 images appear in the "footprint" attribute table. Overviews, stats and pyramids have also been built duing the "Add Raster to Mosaic Dataset" process.

Any idea on what's going on here?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MiniR
by
New Contributor III

I was able to have all raster's displayed after calculating the correct MaxPS (in attribute table) for the rasters that were not displaying. Once calculated, I overwrote the original MaxPS values that were in the attribute table.

More info here: https://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#/Cell_size_ranges_in_a_mosaic_dataset/009t...

Honestly, as a short cut,  I probably could have gotten away with just choosing one of the other MaxPS for one of the other displayed images.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Omar_A
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi,

It is possible that the missing rasters have invalid or incomplete metadata, or that they are not properly aligned with the mosaic dataset. You can try to check the metadata of the missing rasters and ensure they are in the same coordinate system and have the same cell size as the mosaic dataset. Additionally, you can try to adjust the mosaic method and blending options in the mosaic dataset properties to improve the display of the rasters.

I hope this helps

Omar 

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Try setting Pro to auto create statistics and pyramids then manually add your 12 images to see if it complains about anything, offers to update/create/re-create etc.

Then exit Pro and repeat to verify if they look and act any better after doing that?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Does your mosaic have overviews? Zoom in and see if the rasters appear at a very small scale. If they do, then you probably just have overviews that were generated prior to the new rasters being added.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
MiniR
by
New Contributor III

i zoomed in to 1:750 and one of the rasters displayed. What would you suggest I do to overwrite the overviews?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Been a while since I worked with mosaics, but you should be able to use the Build Overviews tool and specify that you want all overviews generated and overwrite the existing ones.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
MiniR
by
New Contributor III

Building overviews didn't work for me, but if you're interested in how I was able to solve this issue check the accepted solution. There was something funky going on with the MaxPS in the images that weren't displaying correctly.

0 Kudos
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Check your raster resolution. Sometimes rasters won't display at certain resolutions

0 Kudos
MiniR
by
New Contributor III

I was able to have all raster's displayed after calculating the correct MaxPS (in attribute table) for the rasters that were not displaying. Once calculated, I overwrote the original MaxPS values that were in the attribute table.

More info here: https://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#/Cell_size_ranges_in_a_mosaic_dataset/009t...

Honestly, as a short cut,  I probably could have gotten away with just choosing one of the other MaxPS for one of the other displayed images.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos