Replacement for functionality of ArcMap Spatial Adjustment tool?

Jump to solution
02-28-2024 02:39 PM
Labels (1)
MaryDuBose
New Contributor III

I am trying to recreate a workflow that we had in ArcMap previously. Basically, we have two feature classes, one of which has more accurate geometry as well as some updated attributes. We want to keep the majority of the attributes in the original feature, but replace its geometry with that of the new feature, as well as replacing specific attribute values. 

In ArcMap, the way to do this was through the Spatial Adjustment tool. We could set up attribute transfer mapping and it would automatically do both the geometry update and the attribute update by clicking first on one feature and then the other.

Is there a way to do this in Pro? We've tried the Transfer Attributes tool, but two issues: (1) the tool doesn't seem to have a way to transfer the geometry; and (2) when there are null values in the source, we don't want to overwrite the original data with the null, we want to just keep what's already in there. I'm sure there is a way to code this in Arcade but not sure where to begin with this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MaryDuBose
New Contributor III

Alright I've answered my own question with the help of this Stack Exchange post! It turns out the ArcPro Transfer Attributes tool does have a way to transfer geometry. You just have to select the Shape field when you're setting up the field mapping. The Esri documentation does not mention this at all. 

Still not sure how to skip null values when doing the attribute transfer, but being able to transfer the geometry solves about 90% of our problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
MaryDuBose
New Contributor III

Hi Dan, thanks for the quick reply! I wouldn't necessarily consider that to be a "similar procedure" as the article states, since with the ArcMap workflow you could simply click one feature, then click the other, and it would replace the geometry. Whereas with this Transform Features option in Pro, it looks like you have to multiple displacement links for each feature you want to edit (step 8). Not really seeing how that would save you any time compared to simply editing the vertices and snapping them to the other feature's vertices. (in our case features are either points or lines, no polygons and most lines just have two vertices)

0 Kudos
MaryDuBose
New Contributor III

Alright I've answered my own question with the help of this Stack Exchange post! It turns out the ArcPro Transfer Attributes tool does have a way to transfer geometry. You just have to select the Shape field when you're setting up the field mapping. The Esri documentation does not mention this at all. 

Still not sure how to skip null values when doing the attribute transfer, but being able to transfer the geometry solves about 90% of our problem.

0 Kudos