Sanborn Basemap Imagery?

Jump to solution
06-30-2022 11:26 AM
Labels (1)
JustinJohnston
Occasional Contributor II

Does anyone know if there is a Sanborn Fire Insurance Map, map service?  We are working on a historic survey of southwest PA that we would like to be able to view these historic maps as basemaps or add the rasters to our mapping to show different years.  Since it is for a large area, it would be a lot of work for me to go about downloading individual rasters and georeferencings etc.  Hoping there is a service somewhere.

Cheers,

Justin

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Understand.  I did find this URL that is for Sanborn Maps but I can't get it work...sadly.  Doesn't seem to be an authoritative source rather a hodgepodge of links, etc...

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kurdishbrwar
Occasional Contributor
Greetings, I did not understand what is required dear?
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Justin - not knowing exactly where you're looking in southern Pennsylvania, but in the Catalog Pane, I clicked the cloud icon (ArcGIS Online) and searched for Sanborn Pennsylvania.  I did get some results for Bellefonte, State College and more.  See below - 

Sanborn.JPG

0 Kudos
JustinJohnston

Hi Robert,

I had done a similar search.  I am looking for basically all areas of Greene, Washington, Westmoreland, and Fayette Counties. 

Cheers,

Justin

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

For Washington County, you can find Sanborn Maps here 

For Westoreland County, you can find Sanborn Maps here 

For Fayette County, you can find Sanborn Maps here 

And lastly Greene County is here 

My suspicion is you'll have to download the maps of interest, georeference them and write out a world file for the jpg or tif.  But it should work.  Now the key is do these links have the coverage you require?

0 Kudos
JustinJohnston

That is the level of effort I was hoping to avoid by finding a map service or a series of already georeferenced rasters.  Will take me a while to go to that effort.  

Cheers,

Justin

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Understand.  I did find this URL that is for Sanborn Maps but I can't get it work...sadly.  Doesn't seem to be an authoritative source rather a hodgepodge of links, etc...