Select and delete features based on a condition of another polygon layer

Jump to solution
10-22-2023 10:01 PM
BrigitteColin
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I have the following challenge. 

- 1 building footprints  (800.00 records)

- 1 state-wide layer (50 records showing 50 subareas)

I want to select/delete all building footprints that fall within one subareas polygon in the state-wide layer.  It sounds so easy but I can not find the right tool. 

The SQL code would look like this.

Select all polygons that are within the subarea xyz of layer state-wide (the second polygon layer)

Any ideas please? 

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrigitteColin
New Contributor III

To all - I found the solution myself !  🙂 

I did a def query to filter on this one specific record in the def query and then I used the select tool. This combination works. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JohannesBierer
Occasional Contributor III
0 Kudos
BrigitteColin
New Contributor III

Hi Johannes,

The select tool is a good start, but I can not set the condition of using only one record. I can set the relationship between the two layers, meaning intersect, or within or contains etc. This mean the whole dataset is considered and not just one record.

What I am after is that only one record will be used (of 50 in total).  For example,  select all building footprints of layer 1 and then delete all those building footprints based on an bigger polygon overlay of a single record of  layer 2.  -> Delete all building footprint in a selected polygon that contains all the single building footprints of layer 2. 

The Select tool allows me to set a distance only. Should I use this? 

Any ideas please? 

0 Kudos
BrigitteColin
New Contributor III

To all - I found the solution myself !  🙂 

I did a def query to filter on this one specific record in the def query and then I used the select tool. This combination works. 

0 Kudos