Server connection with Pro...

06-04-2020 06:05 AM
BenClark
Occasional Contributor

Good morning all,

Does anyone know if there's a way to connect to an SQL server so that you can view all contents on the server via Catalog on a remote machine? What I'm trying to do is browse the contents of the server like I would a local drive or shared drive, but I can only connect to a specific database in the server (per the Catalog connection tool). That connection works fine, but for example there's an aerial image that's stored outside of the database that I can see in the server's file explorer, but I don't see a way to access it in ArcGIS Pro on my computer.

I'd love to hear the community's thoughts. Thank you!

-Ben

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

You could add the folder, if it is shared, within the Folders connection in ArcGIS Pro. I would think something like this; \\SQLServerMachine\imagery

Connect to a folder—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

--- George T.
0 Kudos
BenClark
Occasional Contributor

Hi George,

I'd poked around with that as well, but I'm accessing the server via Windows RDS, so there's no folder on my machine to point to (that I'm aware of).

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Ok, then I am not sure Pro would be able to "explore" any location that it cannot access via UNC, etc. You would need to log into the machine that houses the image and then share that folder with your account. Then you should be able to add it in the Pro client.

Using the DB connection is specific to a DB, as you have noted. That would be based on the security model for DB's.

--- George T.
BenClark
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the guidance, George. Just discussed this with an admin--sounds like that's what exactly needs to happen.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Once that folder is shared you should be good to go.

--- George T.