Still having problems with 3.0 and Excel

Jump to solution
10-18-2022 08:27 AM
ToddFagin
Occasional Contributor II

Despite having installed every conceivable driver, I am still having issues with Excel in ArcGIS Pro 3.x. I go to add a table and it just spins and and spins and spins and never shows the table.

Yes, I have installed:

• Microsoft .NET 6 Desktop Runtime x64
  • Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable 64-bit drive
  • .NET 6 Desktop Runtime Windows x86

I have even tried to install the 32-bit Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable driver, but get a setup error message that I cannot install the 32-bit version because I currently have 64-bit Office products installed.

And I have restarted my computer--repeatedly.

I have wasted hours of my life trying to get this to work. At this point, I am beyond frustrated and am a bit livid.

What gives?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mlyons
by
New Contributor II

Todd,

I was able to get it to work. Here were my steps assuming you have MSO x64 Office products installed:

1. Uninstall all versions of the Microsoft Access Database Engine using 'Add or Remove Programs'.
  2. Reinstall the x64 Microsoft Access Database Engine (only download the x64 installer, make sure to uncheck the x32 installer.)
  3. Restart ArcGIS (did not need to restart computer, but wouldn't hurt.)

Using these steps, sheets within excel files were able to load within ArcGIS again.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

12 Replies
mlyons
by
New Contributor II

Todd,

Reaching out because I am also running into the same issue.

• Excel file itself is visible in geoprocessing tools (e.g. XY Table to Point, Table to Database...) but continuously spins when trying to open the excel file and view the sheets inside.
  • Viewed through a folder connection, the excel file is not visible at all.

I'm using 3.0.2, but I was able to load excel tables in previous 3.0 versions. I have this post stickied and will keep my eye out for any solutions. If I find out anything, I'll reply with the solution.

ToddFagin

This sounds identical to my problem. I am sure we are not the only two.

mlyons
by
New Contributor II

Todd,

I was able to get it to work. Here were my steps assuming you have MSO x64 Office products installed:

1. Uninstall all versions of the Microsoft Access Database Engine using 'Add or Remove Programs'.
  2. Reinstall the x64 Microsoft Access Database Engine (only download the x64 installer, make sure to uncheck the x32 installer.)
  3. Restart ArcGIS (did not need to restart computer, but wouldn't hurt.)

Using these steps, sheets within excel files were able to load within ArcGIS again.

Hope this helps!

ToddFagin

It is working now after many uninstalls, reinstalls, restarts, etc. I don't know what did the trick.

It is nonetheless painfully slow.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

If you have ArcMap on the same machine, you will need the 32 bit Redistibutable as well.

If not allowing to install because you have the 64 bit office, you need to install it silently. See step 4

R_

ToddFagin

I tried this and then received an error message for the first time indicating the x64 driver wasn't installed. Perhaps, because I was doing so many uninstalls/reinstalls/silent installs, etc., I managed to forget to reinstall the x64 driver first.

At the end of the day, it's "working" but is painfully slow.

0 Kudos
AmberTobin
New Contributor III

Hi Todd.  I had the same problem and now have both drivers installed. Now ArcMap crashes when I try and open an Excel file despite working fine before I installed the x64 driver. I'm wondering if you have ArcMap installed too and have the same issue? 

ToddFagin

I work on several different computers (desktop and laptops) and encountered this issue both where ArcMap was installed (desktop) and not installed (laptop).

I do not use ArcMap much anymore, but I will give this a test sometime today to see if it crashes on me, as well. I think I have 10.8 installed (but will need to double check).

RM22
by
New Contributor II

I am having the same issue. I have reinstalled the x64 driver twice and rebooted but still no luck. Also, when  trying to add the excel table, ArcGis Pro (version 3.02) keeps spinning, and if I cancel the upload it goes into a weird status. Everything is greyed out in the menu, and cannot even save and/or exit the file or the program. At that point, I can only kill the task from the task manager.  I also do have ArcMap but not the x32 driver installed. 
Would greatly appreciate any help/suggestion of what else to try. Getting highly frustrated and annoyed by the time wasted with no pop-up window or any other type of indication of the error. 
Many thanks in advance - 

0 Kudos