stream digitizing in Pro?

11-01-2016 01:09 PM
MaribethPrice
Occasional Contributor

Can you still do stream digitizing in Pro (e.g. it follows the mouse instead of you clicking each vertex)?  I can't find it or any mention of it in the help.  Does any one know if it has been ditched permanently or is just planned for a later release? Freehand is pretty clunky in comparison--you can't start/stop and you can't set the stream tolerance.

I've been searching for a comprehensive list of ArcMap stuff that is not in Pro.  Anybody know of one?  The search engines t are spectacularly obtuse at times...they are convinced I am looking for info on linear water bodies...

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Is it the trace other features tool way down near the bottom Menus and toolbars for editing—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop 

And you will never find a list of things 'not' implemented in Pro.  The quickest way, is to find the help topic in the online help for 10.4, then switch over to  Pro 1.3.  It it doesn't exist, there will be no help topic equivalent

PS  stream digitizing    totally lame search answers all 'stream' related

trace digitizing       ditto, got the water drop trace tool

MaribethPrice
Occasional Contributor

Trace is different.  Stream digitizing isn't that useful unless you have a digital pen and do a lot of curvy polygons like geology and soil units.  Then it is a godsend.  Guess I'll have to use ArcMap for it, at least for a while.

Yes, I found that list of tools that aren't available, but lots of stuff wasn't a tool in AM. Good to have it, though.

On the bright side, my book's Pro edition is gonna be a lot shorter than the AM edition! 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Now now... you can fill it up with all kinds of stuff from the conda distribution and opening the gis world up to the SciPy stack, NumPy, Pandas and Matplotlib... no shortage of new material  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Forgot about this link... at least it covers the tools, but not all functionality

Tools that are not available in ArcGIS Pro—Appendices | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos
PhilSanchez
Esri Contributor

Hi Maribeth,

Yes, you can stream digitize using the 'Freehand' construction tool (located in the line and polygon feature tempate tool palettes).

Regards,

Phil Sanchez, Esri

0 Kudos
PhilSanchez
Esri Contributor

Sorry Maribeth, I should have read your question more thoroughly... thanks for the feedback, we'll look into improving it for a future release.

Thanks,

Phil

0 Kudos
LillianWang
New Contributor

I definitely need the stream digitizing function in Pro.  I receive complicated geologic polygon features that need to be digitized in a short time frame.  I have an interactive pen display and have to keep using ArcMap to digitize.  Please add this to a list for a future release.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
IanPryor
New Contributor III

This topic is a year old and this feature still has not been implemented in ArcgisPro (at least I can't find it). This is a basic feature available from Arcview 3.x - ArcMap 10.5. Stuff like this is why people scoff at ArcGisPro, get it together ESRI.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

lots of mention of digitizing on ArcGIS Ideas‌ but nothing specific on that, so perhaps it is a little less basic in the bigger list of requests.

Here are the ideas threads relating to digitizing you should upvote anything that looks of interest