Strike and Dip labels are not placing correctly - INFURIATING!

01-19-2019 04:59 PM
ChristinaPolcino
New Contributor

I am building a fairly complicated geologic map, and it is imperative that all of the attitude symbols are correctly oriented and labeled. I have followed all of the instructions EXACTLY from this article:

Labeling strike and dip—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

And every single time I enable the additional rotation feature, every single attitude number gets placed in the dead center of every strike symbol. When I disable it, they all get placed to the immediate right of the symbols, which isn't ideal as the numbers need to be aligned with the dip tick.

I have searched the Internet and nobody else seems to be experiencing (or at least vocalizing) this issue. Short of throwing my computer out of the window, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Things I have tried:

1. Turning the Maplex engine off and on again

2. Hiding all other labels and symbols

3. Bumping the weight/priority of my attitude layer to 1000

4. Restarting ArcMap

5. Restarting computer, and ArcMap

I've attached an example of what happens when I turn on the Maplex engine.

Sincerely,

Frustrated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Any thoughts Wendy Harrison‌?

0 Kudos
BranislavBlagojevic
Occasional Contributor II

You only need to define label Ofset in Maplex - Placement Properties>Label Position tab.

0 Kudos
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi Christina

Did using the label offset resolve the issue?  if not let me know and we can look into it further.

thanks

Wendy

BranislavBlagojevic
Occasional Contributor II

Yes, resolve!

0 Kudos
GeologyAdmin
New Contributor II

I've created a video showing how to plot strike/dip and trend/plunge symbols in ArcGIS Pro - https://youtu.be/IztMzY4f-5E

I hope it's helpful.

This video demonstrates how to display structural geology measurements, such as strike and dip of bedding and lineations, on maps using ArcGIS Pro. https://www.otago.ac.nz/geology/ @OtagoGeology CHAPTERS 00:00 - Introduction 00:18 - Create a new feature class 01:46 - Add point data to map 01:58 -
0 Kudos