Too Many Vertices

03-15-2024 11:07 AM
StasiaPietraszun
New Contributor II

I have a polygon layer that I do editing and reshaping to and I've been having an issue where there are way too many vertices in my layer. I started with a linear layer and ran simplify tool at Muel Wang 1 meter, which is standard for our methods, and I've never had this problem before. I ran the error inspector and had almost 3000 errors. I fixed all of them, but there are still too many vertices with gaps it seems. I tried creating a new gdb and new feature dataset and copying my working layer over and then creating a whole new topology, but the vertices issue still persists. Reshaping has been an issue since there are so many vertices it fails most of the time, so the only way around that is to use the split tool to delete then merge if I need to reshape. Has anyone else come across an issue like this?? I updated to 3.2.1 right before this I believe. Any help is appreciated! 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Perhaps the Simplify By Straight Lines and Circular Arcs (Editing) might do the trick.  In the Help doc, it says "Simplifies polygon and line features by replacing consecutive line segments or edges with fewer line segments or edges. Lines segments and polygon edges are simplified based on a specified maximum allowable offset. Additionally, circular arcs can be created from consecutive line segments or polygon edges."  The tool works for Standard and Advanced licenses of ArcGIS Pro.