Trouble Creating XY Point Feature From Imported Table

Jump to solution
01-04-2024 02:08 PM
BRobbins
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I've been encountering an issue preventing me from creating an X-Y Point features from an imported .xlsx table.

Using ArcGIS Pro 3.2.1 I've imported a .xlsx file as a standalone table into my project and am able to successfully open it and confirm that all the expected is there.

My problem has arisen when I attempt to create points from the table using the "XY to Point" geoprocessing tool. The Geoprocessing tab on the right side of the project window only seems to recognize one column from my table (AutoNumberID) and none of the other fields.

picture of ArcGIS problem.jpg *Note: The coordinate system shown in the Geoprocessing tab (GCS_WGS_1984) is simply the default. I normally switch it to the project's PCS (NAD 1983 UTM Zone 10N) but didn't go back and retake the screen capture.

I've tried converting the table to .csv files and uploading those and creating new, abbreviated, tables with only the two Northing and Easting columns, but I encounter the same problem.

Frankly, at this point, I'm pretty stumped.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BRobbins
New Contributor II

I was able to create the XY Point feature after converting the Excel file to .csv, so initial issue solved; but I'm still unsure of why it didn't initially work with the .xlsx file.

It was an Excel Workbook, but it only had one sheet, and even if it had more, I've had similar files work in the past....

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Without being able to see what the coordinates are,...

if they are left justified, then it is text

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
BRobbins
New Contributor II

Some examples of coordinates in the table would be 

214455.096 (COORD_NORTH column), 661601.852 (COORD_EAST column)

and 

207013.59 (COORD_NORTH column), 692608.46 (COORD_EAST column).

0 Kudos
Faiez
by
Occasional Contributor II
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If the numbers in the table are right justified, then they are numbers and not a text representation of numbers

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
BRobbins
New Contributor II

I experimented with changing the cell justifications as well as formatting them all as both Text and General, to no avail.

The issue was resolved by converting the file to .csv, but I'm still not sure why the initial .xlsx file wouldn't work.

0 Kudos
JoannaWhittier
New Contributor III

As DanPatterson suggested, it may be that your fields in the excel table are still not numeric. General format doesn't always work. Whenever I have had this issue, I had to format the XY fields as numeric. Or just do as you did and convert to .csv.

0 Kudos
Faiez
by

Hi!

Field names should not contain spaces.

Faiez_0-1704442260521.png

Best,

Faiez

0 Kudos
BRobbins
New Contributor II

Ah! Good catch. I don't believe it was my original problem, but it was worth correcting.

0 Kudos
Faiez
by

Hi!

Good luck.

Best,

Faiez

0 Kudos