Union in Overlay Route Event gives an error

Jump to solution
08-08-2023 07:15 PM
Labels (2)
AnnaSamuel
New Contributor

I am attempting to do a union of two route event layers using the Overlay Route Events geoprocessing tool in ArcGIS Pro 3.0.3. The line to line union of the route event layers fail everytime with the error: 160277 the row contains a bad value. 

Intersect option in this tool works but the union option fails everytime. I am using the route event layers which are stored in a file geodatabase. 

Is anyone else facing this problem ? Any leads would be appreciated. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@AnnaSamuel Recommend the following checks, when using Overlay Route Events

• The input and overlay events should be based on the same route reference.
  • If both the input and overlay event properties are type Line, the output event properties must also be defined as type Line
  • Ensure events have ObjectID and Location Error fields populated. 
  • Review all records where 'Location Error' IS NOT 'No Error' . Fix or exclude erroneous records from the overlay. 
Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanielFox1
Esri Contributor

Hi @AnnaSamuel 

A union calculates the geometric union of any number of feature classes and feature layers, but this has to ensure that the input feature layers are polygons. I have linked below some documentation on unions:

How Union works

Union (Analysis)

The intersect tool on the other hand must ensure that the input feature layers are either point, multipoint, line, or polygon. They cannot be complex features such as annotation features, dimension features, or network features.

Intersect (Analysis)

How Intersect works

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@AnnaSamuel Recommend the following checks, when using Overlay Route Events

• The input and overlay events should be based on the same route reference.
  • If both the input and overlay event properties are type Line, the output event properties must also be defined as type Line
  • Ensure events have ObjectID and Location Error fields populated. 
  • Review all records where 'Location Error' IS NOT 'No Error' . Fix or exclude erroneous records from the overlay. 
Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
AnnaSamuel
New Contributor

Hi @AyanPalit , 

Thank you for your response. 

I had ensured that the input and overlay events have the same route reference and the output event properties is set to type Line.

Will try testing with step 3. 

0 Kudos