Updating an existing map in ArcGIS Online from ArcGIS Pro

3 weeks ago
Labels (2)
MtnRunner
New Contributor II

I shared an ArcGIS Pro map in ArcGIS Online and it works fine. Now I've updated the map in ArcGIS Pro but can't figure out a way to update the existing online map. I can share a new version, but that can't be the only way to push out updates. Can someone point me to the way to just push updates to the existing online map?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
MtnRunner
New Contributor II

Thanks, the issue with this is I've added new layers to the map and moved features from one layer to another. This approach leaves my web map in an odd state because new layers and movements between layers were not updated.

0 Kudos
JonahLay
Esri Contributor

Hi,

You can save a web map in ArcGIS Pro to update the existing web map. See Save a web map for more information.

Best,

Jonah

jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In order for your Pro map to be linked to the Web Map, you need to find the web map in your Catalog, then choose "add and open". In your project's Maps folder, a linked webmap should have a little chain icon.

When you initially share a map to AGOL, the original source map doesn't automatically become linked to its  shared counterpart, so Pro won't know that you want to update that particular web map.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
MtnRunner
New Contributor II

I followed what both you and Jonah suggested, thank you. The web map is now linked, but the "Save Web Map" option in the share ribbon is unavailable. I'm signed into Pro and created the web map with the same account, and I'm only connected to the default portal but something is preventing me from doing the update. I must be missing something but it's not obvious to me. I also tried doing an update of the linked web map from the catalog window but that didn't seem to have any impact. Any suggestions? I added screenshots of what I'm seeing or did.

0 Kudos