Using Modify Tools > "Line Intersection" & "Extend or Trim" with single feature

Jump to solution
12-11-2023 05:18 PM
Labels (1)
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Occasional Contributor III

I'm doing some data cleaning and have a heap of lines that should close to form polygons (or holes in polygons) once constructed. To get there, in the past I would use the Line Intersection tool to close the gaps. See example below. 

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_0-1702342965696.pngLindsayRaabe_FPCWA_1-1702342992062.png

I would simply select the line, then click on the line twice (once each side of the gap) and the third time to confirm the intersection. It appears now that it won't work on self-intersecting lines - only 2 separate features. This isn't ideal as it means I have to split the line first somewhere to then intersect and close the gap. 

I thought I could use the Extend or Trim tool instead but found this has the same restriction - only extends to a different feature. 

Is it just me or is this a change from how they worked in the past? My colleague believes they used to allow self-intersection as well. 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
Forest Products Commission WA
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@LindsayRaabe_FPCWA I would consider this an equivalency bug. I've entered an issue for the development team to investigate. 

You are probably aware of some workarounds (like using Edit Vertices), but here's one to try:

1. Modify > Continue Feature
  2. Select the line.
  3. Choose the Intersection construction tool from the toolbar:Scott_Harris_0-1702390956317.png
  4. Create the guidelines by clicking on the first and last segment:Scott_Harris_1-1702391022426.png
  5. Click again to create the new segment.
  6. Enable Vertex Editing (this allows moving vertices/segments while sketching/continuing - you could also open Edit Vertices tool at this point):                                   Scott_Harris_2-1702391102736.png
  7. Move the first vertex and snap it to the (new) last vertex:                                                          Scott_Harris_3-1702391136397.png

Not ideal, I know. If I think of any other workarounds, I'll post it here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@LindsayRaabe_FPCWA I would consider this an equivalency bug. I've entered an issue for the development team to investigate. 

You are probably aware of some workarounds (like using Edit Vertices), but here's one to try:

1. Modify > Continue Feature
  2. Select the line.
  3. Choose the Intersection construction tool from the toolbar:Scott_Harris_0-1702390956317.png
  4. Create the guidelines by clicking on the first and last segment:Scott_Harris_1-1702391022426.png
  5. Click again to create the new segment.
  6. Enable Vertex Editing (this allows moving vertices/segments while sketching/continuing - you could also open Edit Vertices tool at this point):                                   Scott_Harris_2-1702391102736.png
  7. Move the first vertex and snap it to the (new) last vertex:                                                          Scott_Harris_3-1702391136397.png

Not ideal, I know. If I think of any other workarounds, I'll post it here.

0 Kudos
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

Hi Scott. Thanks for the workaround suggestion! I improved on it slightly too. After using the Continue Feature and Intersection method to continue the line, I then switched back to the Line sketch option and clicked on the Line start point to close the geometry. 

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_0-1702450513616.pngLindsayRaabe_FPCWA_1-1702450578183.pngLindsayRaabe_FPCWA_2-1702450608488.png

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_3-1702450633120.png

The process as I described originally would still be more efficient, but this is still an improvement on the other way I had thought of doing it. Thanks!

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
sjones_esriau
Esri Contributor

Lindsay,

for your original case, you can try the geoprocessing Extend Line tool within the Editing Tools toolbox

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

That would only work if there was one end of a line for it to extend to. As you see in later examples, this wouldn't work as it would extend out into the open with the other end of the line falling too short for it to intersect with. 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
0 Kudos