Versioning: Post and reconcile

07-22-2022 08:29 AM
IB3
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi, 

I was wondering if it's possible to set back the parent geodatabase to a previous time/date; to retrieve the data that were in before a post has been made. For example, if you reconcile and post a child version, but then realize that the changes you posted on the parent version are wrong. Is there a way to set the mother version back to an earlier date/time in Arcgis Pro?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
LeonS
by
Occasional Contributor III

With traditional versioning, there is no "undo" after a posting to a parent version.  You would have to restore your database from a backup to retrieve the "pre-post" data. 

I haven't used branch versioning, so I won't speak to that.

0 Kudos
IB3
by
Occasional Contributor

@LeonS @OK. Thanks. We are many of us making child versions of the default dtb. All the others had already reconciled/posted there version in favor of the target. I was the last to do it but reconciled my child version in favor of my edits by mistake. There were no conflicts as I work on a different layer than the others. Will their changes still be included in the default? It's only the conflicted features that are managed, right?

0 Kudos
LeonS
by
Occasional Contributor III

You are correct only, conflicts are managed during the reconcile process.  Since no conflicts were detected during the reconcile process, all the edits that were in default prior to you posting would still be there. 

This topic should explain the reconcile process and what would be picked up as a conflict:  

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.9/help/data/geodatabases/overview/manage-traditional-version-con...

0 Kudos
IB3
by
Occasional Contributor

We are a couple of people working on the same database. Everyone works on their own version (version of the default database). Normally everything goes well, but today we observed strange conflicts.

I worked on points features while my colleague was working on lines. So not at all on the same Object ID. Normally we don't get conflicts, but today we do. I'm getting conflicts from lines. I don't understand why and I would like to understand why.

Do you perhaps have an idea why?

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

To eliminate conflicts, do each of your editors have their own "Posting" version off of DEFAULT?

Example:

DEFAULT > PostingJoe > EditingJoe

DEFAULT > PostingBob > EditingBob

0 Kudos