Select to view content in your preferred language

What is something you wish you knew about in ArcGIS Pro that would have helped prior to finding out about it?

05-18-2023 08:17 AM
josef264
New Contributor

ArcGIS Pro has tons of capabilities, so much so that I feel like I have only scratched the surface about what it can do.

What is something you wish you knew about in ArcGIS Pro that would have helped prior to finding out about it? Any tips, tricks, 'hacks', or tools that have come in handy over the years?

Looking forward to hearing your inputs!

2 Replies
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

This is kind of a "negative tip," but something worth pointing out depending on how your organization is set up (qualifier: overall I do really like ArcPro, so this is definitely not a "let's bash ArcPro" post). 

If you have data in Enterprise Geodatabases that are not versioned, discarding edits feature classes is not supported as it is in Arc Map. If you have an EGDB feature you edit it, that's it. It's edited (presuming of course it's not archived or anything like that). This is one of the most major shortcomings of Pro compared to map for my organization and I'm pretty sore that ESRI hasn't addressed it yet, because as I mentioned, ArcPro is a superior mapping product for sure. 

In the plus column, make sure you learn about how to set symbology based on scale. This function eliminated the need (in ArcMap style) to have multiple instances of layers if you want them to draw differently at different scales. Big deal, in my opinion.

PamelaBerry
New Contributor III

Add frequently used database, folder, and WMS connections to favorites so they will always be quickly available in new projects. Also using the Search at the top of the application to search for tools, instead of digging through the toolboxes.

0 Kudos