What time did you see Sasquatch? Pro says "Today" if you pick a time....

07-05-2018 11:33 AM
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Something that is pretty common is to add a time to a date field, e.g an observation time (I saw Sasquatch at 7 AM on 7July). 

Like this:

But what if I saw Sasquatch on 28 June, and I'm just now getting around to adding the observation?

I pick June 28:

Then click on the time thingy and change it to 7 AM and now it's July 5! It seems the clicking on the time pick list is tied to the same mouse click event that runs "Today". 

Now, if I set the time doo hickey to 7 AM FIRST, then I can pick June 28. Which doesn't seem very intuitive, nor can I find that in the online help, nor is there going to be any rational way I can explain that to the majority of my customers that are entering observation times as well as dates in a date field. 

Since correlating the proof of the existence of Sasquatch to observation time (evening, when folks that believe in Sasquatch are 6 deep into a case of Natty Light) is key to my hypothesis, I really need the time to stick when I pick date....

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Does this behavior occur across multiple datasources (e.g. shapefiles, file gdbs, enterprise gdbs)?

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

So far just  FGDB, I don't have access to any SDE's today. 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Although I did not have permissions to save the updated date, I saw the same behavior in an Oracle SDE datasource.

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Doesn't happen in the attribute editor window, where you have a real clock to set the time 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

So originally you were making this attribute edit directly in the table view (That is where I was performing my edits).

Can you provide a screenshot of what the attribute editor window looks like? 

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

0 Kudos