Where is the Distance-Distance tool in Pro?

Jump to solution
12-28-2017 07:52 AM
GregJalbert
New Contributor II

I work for a water and sewer district and our old paper records use swing ties to locate assets like valves, curb stops, manholes, clean outs, etc...  These swing ties are simply 2 measurements off of fixed objects, mainly foundation corners.  Where the 2 swing and intersect is the location of the asset.  In ArcMap10 in the Editor Toolbar and Feature Construction Toolbar there is a Distance-Distance tool that makes drawing these assets really easy by drawing two intersecting circles.  We are using a GPS to locate assets and correct our maps but for buried assets like a sewer service connection to a main or a 45deg bend in a pipe these swing ties are the only thing we have to draw assets as accurately as we can.  I also use the swing ties to double check GPS points that "look off".  Sometimes we collect bad points and need to re-shoot the GPS point.

It appears this tool is no longer available in ArcGIS Pro.  Why was it removed?  And can it be added back in please?  This tool helps immensely.  Without this tool I have to create extra circle features and then delete them after I create an asset point at the intersection.  This is extra work and time consuming.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

The Distance-Distance tool is in ArcGIS Pro 2.4 just released on 6/27/19!

View solution in original post

12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

construction context menu.... almost at the bottom of the link, it is there

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

It isn't in Pro yet.  There is a request that is in the development team's backlog.

ENH-000109182: Distance Distance editing tool in ArcMap should be carried over to ArcGIS Pro.

Edit: I was a bit rushed in my initial response.  jbear725‌, I just wanted to clarify that the functionality wasn't removed.  It just hasn't been built into Pro yet.  It is on the editing team's list.  Thanks for the patience.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

just saw... it was the direction/distance tool... sorry... half right

0 Kudos
GregJalbert
New Contributor II

Thanks, I look forward to it being added into Pro

0 Kudos
CraigDouglas
New Contributor

This is definitely an important tool for our organization as well.

0 Kudos
AriTiainen
New Contributor

Any news on timetable of ENH-000109182 ?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Ari.  While this tool is in the plan for ArcGIS Pro, it doesn't look like it will be in 2.3 which is the next release.  Hopefully we'll see it in the next one.  

0 Kudos
AriTiainen
New Contributor

Thank you for your answer. Is it same with the direction-distance tool?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Probably as I think these will be treated together but it would be better to get an idea from somebody on the Editing team like John Jones‌  John, are you able to provide any more information about plans and timeline for distance-distance and direction-distance tools in Pro?

Thank you!

0 Kudos