Why does Pro keep the old segments when using merge?

01-09-2019 09:13 AM
KimJones
New Contributor II

In ArcMap, when I merge two street segments, there is one created from it, and the two old segments go away. Pro is keeping the two old segments and adding a new merged feature in addition to the old ones.  I have to go back into the data now to remove the old ones, which is an extra step.  I realize that maybe not everyone would need the old features to go away, like I do, so it would be nice to have a toggle for "Keep/Remove" old features as well as the one for "Use Template."

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

What version of Pro are you working in where you see this behavior?

I tested the Merge tool in Pro 2.2.1 and I do not see this behavior.  I am using a file gdb.

As such, what is the data source of your street segment data?

Tested the same scenario in a different file gdb in Pro 2.3 Beta and the old segments were not kept as was the case for you.

Can you try testing this tool in another aprx and also from a different data source to see if it behaves any differently?

KimJones
New Contributor II

I'm using v 2.2.4.

0 Kudos
KimJones
New Contributor II

I'm going to use my laptop to test it on an older version, as that one is still loaded with 2.0.  I only use the laptop when I get called to the EOC, so it doesn't get updated often. It's doing system updates now, so I wait.

The street data is in our sde database.  We are a municipality and create the data ourselves.  I had a new section of street that was opened last week and just found out about it.  I needed to merge that new 'closed' segment with the adjacent 'open' segment to form one 'open' segment.

Glad to hear it isn't doing that in the Pro 2.3 Beta version.  I'm looking forward to getting that version for other reasons, and this will just add to them.    May not even need to concern myself with this issue if it's not there in 2.3. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kim,

Along with Michael's suggestions, I want to confirm if you are using the "Existing Feature" option of the Merge tool (instead of the New Feature option).

Merge features into one feature—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

-Scott

KimJones
New Contributor II

Ahhh...there's a choice...I see that now.

Ok, so I just finished my test in 2.0, as Michael suggested, and it did as he said - what ArcMap does: takes out the old features.  I noticed it also doesn't have the toggle for "Use Template."

I closed that down without saving and came back to my desk comp with Pro 2.2.4, and checked on your suggestion, Scott.  The merge tool opens with Existing as the default.  I clicked New Feature, thinking it did what I needed.  Now I know - use Existing!

Thank you both so much!  I've just been using Pro for a few weeks now, so I'm still learning all the little nuances.  SO much to learn!