Why has Event Layer functionality been removed from context menus?

07-07-2022 11:17 AM
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

In ArcGIS Pro, it seems like XY Event Layer functionality has been removed from context menus.

It was easier to create XY Event Layers in ArcMap. Just right-click the layer in the TOC:

Bud_0-1657217091840.png

Whereas in Pro, right clicking gets us a "Display XY Data" tool, but that's misleading because that tool produces a static output in a FC. That's not what I want; I want to create a dynamic event layer.

The "Add Data" context menu in Pro doesn't have an XY event layer option either:

Bud_1-1657217427221.png

The same thing applies to linear referencing Route Event Layers. That functionality has been removed from menus too.

Is there a reason why event layers were made less convenient? (removed from the menus)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
EvanThoms
Occasional Contributor II

Good question! One of my biggest complaints about Pro (the lack of context-menu options, not XY Event Layer specifically)

If you need the tool frequently, you could customize the ribbon or add the tool to the Quick Access Toolbar.

DonaldRees
Esri Contributor

@Bud I can speak to Route Event Layers. Over the last few releases we have been chipping away at core linear referencing equivalency. The table context menu option for "Display Route Events" was added in ArcGIS Pro 2.9 (LR Blog).