XY Table to Point not working - it only works without ''Date'' column

Jump to solution
03-21-2024 10:02 AM
GabrielBordonal
New Contributor II

Hello!

I am having an annoying issue with arcgis Pro 3.2 . Since i ve updated to the 3.2 version, XY table to point simply doesnt work. When i remove the date column, it works fine. But i need this column to be used as a filter.

Any help on what may be happening?
I've already tryed to change date formats in the csv file ;
imported as a event (it goes well) but when i try to export to a shapefile it simply doesnt work as well.

I am very grateful to anyone who can help me.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

The DateOnly field is a new field type introduced in ArcGIS Pro version 3.2. In previous releases, the field is read as a Date date field type. For more information, refer to https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/3.2/get-started/whats-new-in-arcgis-pro.htm.

DateOnly fields cannot be created in the shapefile format; thus, tools that export the table to that format raise an error. This error message is to be made more consistent in time, indicating that the reason the output table cannot be created is due to the unsupported field type for the output format.  The workaround is save the output as a file geodatabase feature class instead of a shapefile.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Eugene_Adkins
Occasional Contributor III

I'm using 3.1.1 for multiple reasons so I can't replicate your workflow, but maybe a workaround would be to create two versions of your table - one version with the date and the version other without the date.

In each of these tables create a matching/identical column with unique populated information that could be used for a join after you create your points from the non-dated table. Once the points are created, you can join the points to the table with the dates and then field calculate the dates into the newly created points layer. Not ideal for sure, but it may help you move forward with your work in the meantime.

GabrielBordonal
New Contributor II

Thank you for your help.

It worked, but unfortunately the data can't be filtered (don't know why). Apparently theres a issue with the SQL (?).

Anyways, i'll save it as a geodatabase. Thanks.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There have been soe changes

BUG-000163458 for ArcGIS Pro (esri.com)

... sort of retired...
GabrielBordonal
New Contributor II

Thank you. Seems i'll need to work with geodatabase now.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

The DateOnly field is a new field type introduced in ArcGIS Pro version 3.2. In previous releases, the field is read as a Date date field type. For more information, refer to https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/3.2/get-started/whats-new-in-arcgis-pro.htm.

DateOnly fields cannot be created in the shapefile format; thus, tools that export the table to that format raise an error. This error message is to be made more consistent in time, indicating that the reason the output table cannot be created is due to the unsupported field type for the output format.  The workaround is save the output as a file geodatabase feature class instead of a shapefile.

GabrielBordonal
New Contributor II

Thanks for your help.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Certainly!  If you feel mine or another's response provided a solution to your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button for that answer to close out this thread.  Have a great day!

0 Kudos