ArcGIS Pro Add-In targeting .net6 migration needed to .net8?

Jump to solution
03-13-2024 11:50 PM
JoëlHempenius3
Occasional Contributor II

I was watching the plenary devsummit yesterday online and there was a quick mention that the next version of ArcGIS Pro will be build using .Net8.

I've developed a ArcGIS Pro Add-in for the marketplace which currently is build for ArcGIS Pro 3.0 and .Net6, do I need to migrate this Add-In to .Net8 and the ArcGIS Pro 3.3 SDK? Or will the Add-In which as I build it right now also work with ArcGIS Pro 3.3 and .Net8?

Thank you 🙂

-Joël Hempenius.

Languages: JavaScript, Python and Dunglish
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdamDavis
Occasional Contributor

Hi Joël,

Yes and no. 

Esri put out this information about the move.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-pro/announcements/arcgis-pro-3-3-moves-to-net-8/

Note at the bottom that it depends on if you are using any .net that is no longer supported in 8.

So what we are gong to try to do is build the extension using 3.3 dlls targeting 8. Make sure it complies without any 8 specific errors and then switch back to targeting 6. In that way we are hoping  we can cover 3.0 - 3.3 with a single addinx.

Adam

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AdamDavis
Occasional Contributor

Hi Joël,

Yes and no. 

Esri put out this information about the move.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-pro/announcements/arcgis-pro-3-3-moves-to-net-8/

Note at the bottom that it depends on if you are using any .net that is no longer supported in 8.

So what we are gong to try to do is build the extension using 3.3 dlls targeting 8. Make sure it complies without any 8 specific errors and then switch back to targeting 6. In that way we are hoping  we can cover 3.0 - 3.3 with a single addinx.

Adam

CharlesMacleod
Esri Regular Contributor

.NET 6 to .NET 8 is not a breaking change. Your 3.0-3.2 addins will run on 3.3 with no need to recompile.

If you are using specific 3rd party dlls/drivers, etc. then their forwards compatibility wld need to be verified but, generally speaking, Microsoft .NET 6 is forwards compatible with .NET 8 same as the Esri Pro assemblies.

JoëlHempenius3
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks @AdamDavis & @CharlesMacleod 

I only use NewtonsoftJSON, so I'm pretty sure that it should be compatible using your information.

-Joël Hempenius.

Languages: JavaScript, Python and Dunglish
0 Kudos