Adding thematic information to map layers and adding dynamic map layers

08-10-2010 08:41 PM
ChristopherMugdan
New Contributor III
I am new to the ArcGIS Server REST API and I would very much like to know how I should approach the following tasks using it:
1. adding dynamic layers (like ArcIMS acetate layers)
2. adding thematic information to existing map layers (e.g. colour coding/hatching regions in a polygon layer) in a dynamic fashion
3. specifying layer z order

I  see that there are the Server Object Extensions that can be written to perform specific operations and invoked from the REST API - is it possible to use this mechanism? Even if it is possible, we would much rather invoke the ArcGIS Server without having to interfere in its internals.

If it is not possible, is there an API more suited to this than the REST API? We tried invoking ArcObjects directly a couple of years ago and we could not get even a simple layer of points to appear and ESRI technical support could not tell us how to.

Cheers,
Chris Mugdan
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AjitDharmik
New Contributor III
Hi Chris,

Developing Server Object Extensions (SOEs) involve using fine-grained ArcObjects API to implement your custom solutions. You must be familiar with ArcObjects (you indicate that you already are). One can definitely manipulate data that's exposed through a map service by using SOEs, to the extent ArcObjects allow you to.

Thanks!
Ajit

I am new to the ArcGIS Server REST API and I would very much like to know how I should approach the following tasks using it:
1. adding dynamic layers (like ArcIMS acetate layers)
2. adding thematic information to existing map layers (e.g. colour coding/hatching regions in a polygon layer) in a dynamic fashion
3. specifying layer z order

I  see that there are the Server Object Extensions that can be written to perform specific operations and invoked from the REST API - is it possible to use this mechanism? Even if it is possible, we would much rather invoke the ArcGIS Server without having to interfere in its internals.

If it is not possible, is there an API more suited to this than the REST API? We tried invoking ArcObjects directly a couple of years ago and we could not get even a simple layer of points to appear and ESRI technical support could not tell us how to.

Cheers,
Chris Mugdan
0 Kudos
ChristopherMugdan
New Contributor III
Hi Ajit,

Thanks for the response.

Must we use SOE with ArcObjects to do what we need to do? Is there an alternative API such as SOAP that will let us do it?

We are a Java house that does not use FACES (so no Java ArcObjects) nor do we program in C#. We have been able to add themes to internal map layers with ArcIMS, MapXtreme and the geoserver using only their public interfaces and we strongly want to maintain that model while maintaining efficiency.

Do you have any suggestions?

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,

Developing Server Object Extensions (SOEs) involve using fine-grained ArcObjects API to implement your custom solutions. You must be familiar with ArcObjects (you indicate that you already are). One can definitely manipulate data that's exposed through a map service by using SOEs, to the extent ArcObjects allow you to.

Thanks!
Ajit
0 Kudos