REST API errors when trying to get compact cache

08-04-2010 12:37 PM
JacobBartruff
New Contributor II
I have run into an issue when using compact caches.  The cache will build but when I try to get certain tiles I get the following error:

ERROR:The path is not of a legal form. ::    at System.IO.Path.NormalizePathFast(String path, Boolean fullCheck)
   at System.IO.Path.NormalizePath(String path, Boolean fullCheck)
   at System.IO.Path.GetFullPathInternal(String path)
   at System.IO.Path.GetFullPath(String path)
   at System.Net.WebClient.GetUri(String path)
   at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadData(String address)
   at ESRI.ArcGIS.REST.MapServer.TileResponse.GetBlankTile()
   at ESRI.ArcGIS.REST.MapServer.TileResponse.WriteResponse()
   at ESRI.ArcGIS.REST.ResponseFormatter.WriteFormattedResponse()
   at ESRI.ArcGIS.REST.RequestHandler.ProcessRequest()
   at ESRI.ArcGIS.REST.RestHttpHandler.System.Web.IHttpHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
  http://<server>/ArcGIS/rest/services/<service>/MapServer/tile/18/95280/41457

Other tiles in the same cache work perfectly.  Trying to rebuild specific scales or updating empty tiles does not make a difference.  If I take the same mxd and create an exploded cache everything works fine.  I believe it is a REST API issue because I can pull up the compact cached service in ArcMap.  Since I cannot view inside a compact cache I do not know for certain if the image(s) have been created.  Any ideas?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RahulRavikumar
New Contributor
Looks like the REST handler is not being able to access that tile bundle for some reason. Can you check if there are files L18RXXXXCXXXX.bundle and L18RXXXXCXXXX.bundlx in your cache directory ?

Could you also make sure that the creating the cache has completed successfully?
0 Kudos
JacobBartruff
New Contributor II
You are correct that the cache is not being created successfully, although I get no errors, whether in ArcCatalog or in the server log.  Two of the cache folders are incomplete and have files with a .bundle.done extension that the other folders do not.  I have created an exploded and a compact cache from the same mxd and the exploded cache creates all levels correctly.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
PeterJohnson
New Contributor II
Jacob-

Did you ever get a resolution to this issue?  I'm now experiencing it for three of my map services.

Peter
0 Kudos
JacobBartruff
New Contributor II
No, it has not been resolved.  I have not checked whether it is a bug that is being fixed in SP1.  For now, I have been using exploded caches instead of compact caches.
0 Kudos
PeterKovalchuk
Esri Contributor
This is not a bug, but configuration problem. You have to apply lsass.exe workaround and make sure that ArcGISWebServices account have r/w permissions on cache folder (on NTFS and sharing levels).
0 Kudos