REST - problems when a Relationship class is referencing multiple layers coming from the same Fature Class

01-15-2018 02:43 AM
AlessandroValra
Occasional Contributor III

HI,

I recently published a MapService with a Relationship Class in it.

The Relationship Class links the attributes of two Feature Classes (let's call them A and B).

B is referenced in my publication mxd as two separate layers, each with a specific definition query (let's call these layers B_lyr1, and B_lyr2).

Now, the problem is: after publishing, from REST I can only see one of these layers in the Relationship Class. Only the one which comes before in my Table of Content (namely B_lyr1) is visible, while there's no trace of B_lyr2.

This is causing my app to show the related information of B from A only for the filtered B_lyr1, while the attributes in B_lyr2 are not accessible from the same Relationship Class.

Is this a bug?

The version of ArcMap I am using is 10.5,same for ArcGIS Server.

To clarify, here is a scheme of what I see in REST (note that there's no mention of B_lyr2 under "Relation"):

- A (0)

- B_lyr1 (1)

- B_lyr2 (2)

Relation: A <-> B_lyr1

0 Kudos
5 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

What if you publish the service using a single reference to the featureclass with no query definition and load the layer twice to the web map and set the corresponding filters in the web map?

0 Kudos
AlessandroValra

Hi xander_bakker‌. Thanks for the suggestion. This would be a good workaround, but unfortunately not applicable in my case.

I would really need the Relationship Class functionality to work the way it is suposed to, which is the same as in ArcMap.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If that doesn't work (although I would like to know why you say it is not applicable in your case) you can always create two fearureclasses with the relationshipclass and publish that. 

AlessandroValra

Xander Bakker ha scritto:

why you say it is not applicable in your case

Well, it's a matter of how my app which serves the GIS data through web is designed. I am not the developer and the "web map" is not the traditional map where you can make changes easily as in (e.g.) ArcGIS Online. Rather, I (more like, "the deveolpers I am working with) should make changes in the code, and this is not what the customers (and the developers) want, as this feature should be working as in desktop (ArcMap).

Anyway, the idea of creating two featureclasses is feasible and could probably be the most suitable workaround.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll accept the answer as I'll try it.

VictorVizcaino
New Contributor II

Was there ever a resolution for this? I am experiencing this exact problem with Portal 10.8.1. I have been able to confirm it was resolved in 10.9.1 and AGOL. I am currently not set up to upgrade with my contract with the company who is hosting my virtual environment. I have asked them about upgrading and they are discussing, but it would be great if this was resolved with a patch.  Thanks

0 Kudos