How can a route layer be connected to the layer it is based off of?

07-31-2020 11:51 AM
CourtneyDunn
New Contributor II

I have our road centrelines which are all street segments etc. and have created a route layer off of the road centrelines based on an ID.  From the route layer we have event tables associated.  I am wondering if there is a solution for somehow connecting the road layer to the route layer so that when the geometry changes (update, add, delete) this is effectively changed in the route layer as well and then cascaded to the event tables and event layers created from the tables.  We would like to be updating and editing only one layer but essentially everything would simultaneously be updated.  I have been searching around to look for a solution for this but have not yet found anything.  I know it is not difficult to run 'Create Routes' tool but this is only as accurate as the time that tool is run. Also I am using Pro and the data lies in an enterprise gdb.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AmitHazra
Esri Contributor

Hello Courtney

The object relationship and editing scenarios you're describing between centerlines, routes, and events is one of the primary reasons for why we built ArcGIS Roads and Highways. In the Roads and Highways data model, centerlines form the foundation for route geometry. Roads and Highways tools are utilized to build and maintain routes upon the centerlines, and event feature classes are maintained on the routes the events are characterizing. You can read more about the information model in our LRS data modeling document.

The solution incorporates advanced rules to manage the relationship of centerlines to routes and automates the update of event measures and shapes based on configurable location event rules called "behaviors".

In addition to these fundamental desktop editing capabilities and automated rules, Roads and Highways provides a rich Server-based solution including a JavaScript REST API to develop web-based apps on. 

If you'd like to talk more about bringing enterprise LRS capabilities to your organization please reach out to us anytime,

Amit@esri

Esri LRS Transportation Team

0 Kudos
RyanKoschatzky
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Courtney,

Another resource for active users of the R&H product is RHUG, Roads and Highways User Group (RHUG) . Lots of good information all over the site. Most of the members (State, County and City) are not currently using the Pro version of the software as it is not at a 1:1 match for desktop functionality for most of our uses/business practices but it may be at that point for your use. Most folks are using 10.5.1 and have or in process of migrating to 10.7.1 til Pro is ready for us to make to that switch.

For 10.5.1 we use SDE and have many different business units internal and external editing and consuming the data.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos