How can I extract all the latitude and longitude information of all the points 0.02m apart in a route created by Google Maps

09-16-2020 02:25 PM
SagarDasgupta
New Contributor

I have created a car route from point A to point B using address. Now I want to extract latitude and longitude information of the entire route.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AmitHazra
Esri Contributor

Hello - This is a difficult question to answer without fully understanding the data format you're working with. You mentioned Google Maps in your post and this an Esri GeoNet forum devoted to the enterprise location referencing system solution called Roads and Highways which leverages the Esri geodatabase model. For the purposes of trying to get you going I will assume you've created a GIS dataset in an Esri-supported format such as a shapefile and/or geodatabase feature class. I'll also assume you're either using ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap) or ArcGIS Pro to complete your analysis. With these assumptions I would recommend you take a look at either of these geoprocessing tools:

Generate Points Along Lines (ArcGIS Pro)

or

Generate Points Along Lines (ArcMap)

Either geoprocessing tool will allow you to extract point features along a polyline feature at a specified distance (in your case 0.2 meters). Once you've extracted those points as features you can add fields such as Latitude and Longitude to that feature class attribute table and then use ArcGIS Desktop to compute the X/Y geographic coordinates for each point using a number of different options including the Calculate Geometry Attributes GP tool. I should mention both the Add Fields and Calculate Geometry Attributes tools also have ArcGIS Pro analogs.

-amit@esri

Esri LRS Transportation Team

0 Kudos