How do Lines manifest in Location Referencing?

06-30-2022 11:17 PM
GraemeBrowning
Occasional Contributor III

I'm starting to have success creating and loading an LRS dataset and network into a file geodatabase using ArcGIS Pro 3.0.0, and I have included fields in my LRS Network to support Lines, thus making it into an LRS Line Network.

Does the LRS Line Network unlock any particular functionality beyond that available for an LRS Network?

I've reviewed Lines—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation and have come away with the impression that the advantage of including Line fields is that the Location Referencing tools (editing and geoprocessing) will keep them in sync with the Centerlines and routes in the LRS Network that are built upon them but that just happens in the background.  I'm assuming that to display them I just treat them as a normal polyline field and use line symbology based on that.

I haven't looked at equations and stationing yet and gather that until I start to use events with my LRS Network they will have no role to play.

2 Replies
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Occasional Contributor II

From trial and error, I think I now have a good understanding of Lines in the LRS data model, and they work very well for us.  Places I use/see them are:

• We model each approx. 1km length of track as a route (which we refer to as a KM Route)
  • We use Lines to model an ordered list of KM Routes, and we refer to a Line as a Through Route (one of these is almost 1,200km long).  Impressively, as we add extra KM Routes to a line, at either end, the software takes care of maintaining the LineOrder field
  • While testing I occasionally use Delete Routes to clean up test data, and if I try to delete one route from a line, then I have to accept that all routes in that line will be deleted.  I can live with that.
  • I've modelled a Derived Line Network on our Line Network where each KM route with the same LineName becomes part of a Derived Line (through route) that has measures running uninterrupted from the start of the first route in the line to the end of the last route in the line.  The Derived Lines are not maintained automatically but can be quickly updated using the Generate Routes tool, whenever they need to be.  I can live with that.
  • To display Derived Lines and their measures I just treat them as polylines and use line symbology (including hatch markers and text) to do so
0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

This a good topic! Here are some additional functionality unlocked by modelling Line Network

• Maintains measure across routes with discontinuities in measure and restrict change in measures downstream of the affected area.
  • Model events that span routes.
  • Route editing across routes that belong to the same line.
  • Model and maintain derived network ID and derived measures on Event records. Persisting these attributes help with reporting and quick lookup of continuous measures.
Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri