LRS Dataset with multiple networks has some "null routes"

12-13-2023 09:58 PM
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Occasional Contributor II

I've created an LRS Dataset (Lrs_CQCN_FD) with three networks:

1. Lrs_CQCN_TRACK_LR is a Line Network
  2. Lrs_CQCN_Through_Measures is a Derived Line Network (derived from Lrs_CQCN_TRACK_LR)
  3. Lrs_Roads_Network is a non-line Network

that share the same LRS Schema (see LRS Hierarchy below).

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_0-1702532047549.png

Forgetting about the Derived Line Network for now, I'd like to focus on Lrs_CQCN_TRACK_LR (railways) and Lrs_Roads_Network (access roads) whose routes should be mutually exclusive.  However, what I've noticed is:

1. Both Lrs_CQCN_TRACK_LR (railways) and Lrs_Roads_Network (access roads) have all the routes
  2. In Lrs_CQCN_TRACK_LR (railways) any access roads routes have a RouteName of <Null>
  3. In Lrs_Roads_Network (access roads) any railways routes have a RouteName of <Null>
  4. I'm able to expand my definition queries from ToDate IS NULL (current routes only) to ToDate IS NULL AND RouteName IS NOT NULL (current routes from this Network only) and see just the routes of one Network.

Is this "duplication" of routes and the need to use definition queries to filter them out to be expected?

It's possible that my workflow to create the above has an error in it but while I re-do the process I thought I would check to see whether what I'm observing is actually what I should expect.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@GraemeBrowning_Aurizon I believe this is unexpected behavior. Recommend to trace back the configuration of the networks and the route loading process. 

Conceptually, LRS data model allows you to have multiple LRS networks. After configuration on the LRS networks, you should verify the dLRSNetworks domain.

'The Network ID field is registered with the dLRSNetworks coded value domain when the LRS is created.'

After, Append Routes or Create Routes verify the Centerline Sequence table records. 

'The combination of the network ID and route ID creates a way of uniquely identifying each route in the LRS. The use of the network ID helps differentiate between LRMs, as route IDs may not be unique across networks.'

If you generated Calibration Points, verify the Network ID field as well. If appending Calibration Points, proper Network ID values should be assigned. 

'Calibration points are specific to an LRS Network and comprise the measure component of the LRM.'

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos