Using Pipeline Referencing documentation for Roads and Highways

07-04-2022 10:54 PM
GraemeBrowning
Occasional Contributor III

As I start to move towards testing the Location Referencing tab of the Ribbon in ArcGIS Pro 3.0.0, I'm noticing that if I mouse-over a button and Press F1 for more help, the page it goes to is often/invariably from ArcGIS Pipeline Referencing instead of from ArcGIS Roads and Highways and I am using the latter.

GraemeBrowning_0-1656999884437.png

Sometimes I switch a page like Extend a route—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation (which has a Pipeline Referencing URL) for one like Extend a route—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation (which has a Roads and Highways URL) by replacing "location-referencing-pipelines" in the URL with "roads-highways".

Do I need to always go to the trouble of doing that or are all such pairs of pages identical?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RyanKoschatzky
Occasional Contributor III

Others can confirm but it's been my understanding they are basically the same. 

0 Kudos
NathanEasley
Esri Regular Contributor

You can set your Pro project to launch to either version of the help topics through the Location Referencing options https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/production/roads-highways/set-location-referencing-opt....

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Nathan

After reading your post I assumed that this would work but had not tested that setting until just now.

Unfortunately, even though I have it set to Roads and Highways, when I click F1 while hovering over a button like Realign in the Routes button group of the Location Referencing ribbon tab the help page that opens in my browser is still that of Pipeline Referencing.

I think the F1 key not taking me to the correct documentation is a bug.

- Graeme 

0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon

On the other hand, when I click on a tool like Realign in the Routes group of the Location Referencing ribbon tab, to open it in the Location Referencing pane, and then click the blue question mark near top right of that the pane, then the help that opens in my browser is the Roads and Highways help.

0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon

This has been recorded by Esri as BUG-000151312: Making Roads and Highways preferred solution for documentation in ArcGIS Pro does not open correct help with F1 key.

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon

I received an update that BUG-000151312: Making Roads and Highways preferred solution for documentation in ArcGIS Pro does not open correct help with F1 key had been assigned a Low priority and was considered a Known Limit.  That surprised me because I think a link from the GUI to the wrong documentation (even if it may be near enough to right) should be classed as a Bug and given at least a Medium priority.  I thought it might be a simple fix but perhaps it's constrained by something in the Ribbon interface.

0 Kudos
NathanEasley
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Graeme,

This is a limitation within ArcGIS Pro.  We've made the decision to remove the link to the help all together to prevent any confusion for our users moving forward.  You'll see this change reflected in Pro 3.1.

Nathan
ArcGIS Roads and Highways team

0 Kudos