Offline Navigation

Jump to solution
05-09-2023 10:59 PM
LeoDeng
Occasional Contributor II

Hi All,

We do expect the device to have internet connection the majority of the time, but it is still not perfect.

We often went to the mountains where there was (and still) no Cell Reception in parts of the road. That is why Offline Navigation would be important. There is some functionality that allows ArcGIS Online to be loaded into the device for offline use (Build offline applications | Documentation | ArcGIS Developers).

A couple of goals of this functionality would be:
• Correction when user goes off path (respecting point/polyline/polygon barriers)
• Generation of directions when user adds or removes a stop (respecting point/polyline/polygon barriers)

Is it possible to solve these issues by ArcGIS Online routing and geocoding service in ArcGIS Runtime API for Android?

Bests,
Leo

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HudsonMiears
Esri Contributor

Hi @LeoDeng ,

I have conferred with a colleague and I understand your question better now.

Is it possible to solve these issues by ArcGIS Online routing and geocoding service in ArcGIS Runtime API for Android

In short: the Online routing and geocoding service cannot be taken offline. This leaves two options:
- The user can create their own offline routing network and Locators for their use case.
- The user can assess the StreetMap Premium product which provides this functionality.

I hope this helps,
Hudson

View solution in original post

4 Replies
HudsonMiears
Esri Contributor

Hi Leo,

I believe the Runtime SDK for Android supports all of your use cases for offline navigation. Please have a look at these samples for versions 100.x of the SDK:

• Offline Geocode demonstrates how to geocode and reverse-geocode addresses
  • Offline Routing demonstrates how to generate routes between locations offline, including real-time changes to routes
  • Navigate Route demonstrates how to use a `LocationDataSource` with a route to correct for errors when navigating along streets.

Please note this functionality is also available in the newer 200.1 ArcGIS Maps SDK for Kotlin:

• Offline Geocode
  • Navigate Route, which demonstrates how to use navigation with an online service. There is currently no sample to demonstrate offline routing in the Kotlin SDK, but RouteTask still supports local geodatabases.

Please also see this post for further help on creating your own routing service.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
LeoDeng

Hi @HudsonMiears ,

Thank you for your reply.

1. In the Offline Geocode demonstrates, there is a offline data required first. Ant it's San Diego (San Diego Locator Offline Dataset.). Is there any Locator Offline Dataset for US or Canada ? Or how can I get these data?

2. I found the Offline Geocode demonstrates in Java, however there is no offline routing demonstrates in Java. Can you provide a Java demonstrates for offline Geocode?

3. The offline line data in Offline Routing is broken ? Similar to the first question, is there any network dataset for US or Canada ?

I'm looking forward to your reply.

Thanks,
Leo

0 Kudos
HudsonMiears
Esri Contributor

Hi @LeoDeng ,

I have conferred with a colleague and I understand your question better now.

Is it possible to solve these issues by ArcGIS Online routing and geocoding service in ArcGIS Runtime API for Android

In short: the Online routing and geocoding service cannot be taken offline. This leaves two options:
- The user can create their own offline routing network and Locators for their use case.
- The user can assess the StreetMap Premium product which provides this functionality.

I hope this helps,
Hudson

LeoDeng

Thank you Hudson! This solve my question!

0 Kudos