Select the spatial reference when generating a TPK

09-11-2013 03:20 PM
ChristopheFondacci
New Contributor II
I am trying to generate a TPK from ArcMap.
My root data block has a spatial reference of 3163.
I have one layer in it.

I want to generate a TPK.

The only options I have in the TPK in the tiling scheme are : "ArcGIS online ...", "Existing map service" and "Tiling scheme file" (approximate translations from french).

If I choose "Arcgis online" I end up with WGS84 spatial reference which I cannot use because my TPK needs to be used with other 3163 TPKs.
If I choose any of the 2 other choices, a dialog comes up asking me to select a file but I don't know which file is expected, nor I know how to generate that file.

I just want to specify a spatial reference and optionally the zoom levels I want. When I try to share a service description file, I end up with a ".sd" file but it is not accepted as the input of "Existing map service" option. Anyway when generating the service description I cannot define my spatial reference.

Well, I am a bit lost in the ArcMap options. Could anyone help me with this or could give me some hint about a step by step procedure on how to generate a customized spatial reference TPK ?

Thank you very much !
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ShiminCai
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,

I used two ways to create my tpks:

1. First create a cached map service for the same area you want to create a tpk for. During the creation of the cached map service you are able to define the tiling scale levels. The spatial reference for the service is picked up from the data frame of your map document. Then when you create your tpk you import the tiling scheme from either the cached map service you just create or its tiling scheme file which can be found in the path on your arcgis server: ...\<your service name>\Layers\Conf.xml.

2. Use the geoprocessing tool Generate Tile Cache Tiling Scheme to generate a tiling scheme file and then import it into your tpk. This tool can be found in the System Toolboxs\Data Management Tools.tbx\Tile Cache.

Regards,

Shimin
0 Kudos