Message layers not displayed

07-02-2013 03:22 AM
Labels (1)
IanGarnett
New Contributor
Hello,

I have been using ArcGIS runtime quite successfully to develop an application that makes use of military 2525C symbols. I recently tried to deploy to a customers hardware platform and found that nothing was being displayed on the map except the ESRI symbol + the navigation control. I later discovered that if I set the UseAcceleratedDisplay option to false I could get maps to be displayed but not symbols. I also tried moving all the message layers into an "AcceleratedDisplayLayers" but that had the same result. Even enabling the MGRS grid lines proved that the entire GroupLayer was not being displayed.

The hardware seems to meet the specs (Atom N2800 1.86 Ghz, 4 GB DDR3 + Intel GMA 3650 with 256 MB) and I also tried checking the render capability value as suggested in another thread using:

int tier = (System.Windows.Media.RenderCapability.Tier >> 16);

I have also tried running the application on other hardware platforms with success, one of them also uses an Atom Z530P.

I guess the obvious issue is the particular hardware setup, in which case it could be a deal breaker if we cannot display symbols.

Are there known limitations with particular hardware configurations? Also, are there other things I can try to get the symbols working?

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

Is the machine running the latest graphics drivers?

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
IanGarnett
New Contributor
After a more in-depth investigation into drivers and such I have discovered that it is in fact a driver related issue. The customers hardware is supposed to be running windows 7 but has been downgraded to XP due to driver constraints of another essential peripheral the customer needs. Unfortunately the graphics driver support for XP is limited to a version without 2D/3D hardware acceleration included as I discovered reading this forum
http://communities.intel.com/thread/28625?start=15&tstart=0

Ah well, not much can be done.
0 Kudos