Using arcobjects in WPF

Jump to solution
11-10-2014 02:11 AM
Labels (1)
AnatoliiTerentiev
Occasional Contributor III

Dear Gurus!

For a long time I used arcobjects in WinForms (and arcgis runtime SDK for Silverlight). Now I switched to using arcgis runtime SDK for WPF. So I have some questions.

1. How I can use arcobjects in WPF, for example MapControl and so on?

2. When I use map services in WPF application I want to use acrobjects - how I can do this?

3. Should I create WCF services and how to use them?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

The ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF includes an API which is not based on ArcObjects therefore you should not try to use ArcObjects in conjunction with projects which also reference the ArcGIS Runtime WPF API assemblies.

Also - if you are building WPF apps you should be looking at the new ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .Net | ArcGIS for Developers

Cheers

Mike

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MichaelBranscomb

Hi,

The ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF includes an API which is not based on ArcObjects therefore you should not try to use ArcObjects in conjunction with projects which also reference the ArcGIS Runtime WPF API assemblies.

Also - if you are building WPF apps you should be looking at the new ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .Net | ArcGIS for Developers

Cheers

Mike

AnatoliiTerentiev

Thank you very much!

Do I understand correctly, that the new version of the SDK properly use instead ArcGISWPF24, which I have used so far. And this version  do all, that was possible in the previous version for WPF . and the possibilities of arcobjects?

P.S. Could you briefly explain the main advantages of the new system in comparison with WPF API (in 2 words) ?

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb

Hi,

The new ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET was released early October as version 10.2.4. It does not yet offer all the functionality of ArcObjects, but that was a much larger API. However over the next year we plan to add functionality to the ArcGIS Runtime which will make it more equivalent with ArcGIS Engine. The new .NET SDK includes most of the functionality from the previous WPF SDK with a few exceptions, such as XAML ControlTemplate symbol support.

The benefits are numerous:

- A common API for building Windows Desktop, Store and Phone apps

- Built for .NET 4.5

- Task-based asynchronous API

- Designed to fully support MVVM

- Faster offline/local routing capabilities

- Faster offline/local geocoding capabilities

- Support for offline editing workflows

- Runtime geodatabase support

- Fast/local geometric operators

- Feature/Graphic Labeling API

- Direct read of Shapefiles

Cheers

Mike

AnatoliiTerentiev

Is it possible to work with .mxd file directly when building Map control, not through the map service?

P.S. Is it planned  to include in the api the procedure of direct  show x,y-table contents on the map from the mssql server ?

0 Kudos