Access Geodatabase remotely through GIS Server

Jump to solution
03-03-2016 05:26 AM
GideonDalrymple
New Contributor III

Greetings,

Is there a way or service that will allow me to access and edit my geodatabase back in the office from a mobile device on the field?

regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Public access wouldn't be required, but VPN access might, or just a secured web site -- call it "connectivity" with the AGS host's service.  Any way you roll it, the IT folks should be in on the conversation.

- V

View solution in original post

7 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Gideon,

Sure is it called ArcGIS Server and FeatureServices or publish your FeatureClass to your AGOL account as a FeatureService.

Publishing feature services—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

Publish hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

GideonDalrymple
New Contributor III

Thanks Robert for your reply but i'm still having some issues.

I created the feature service and I'm able to access it through ArcMap , edit, and then the changes are reflected in the local SDE Geodatabase.  This however only works when both machines are on the same network. When I try with one of the machines being on a different network I get this error message: " Cannot connect to this server"

That's what I'm aiming for, to be able to edit from the field which obiously would be over different internet networks or providers.

Awaiting your response!

THanks again! really appreciate it.

Gideon

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Gideon,

This would require you (your IT people) to provide access to your ArcGIS server to the web/public. You would be able to use a public url to access the server like esri sample servers.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Public access wouldn't be required, but VPN access might, or just a secured web site -- call it "connectivity" with the AGS host's service.  Any way you roll it, the IT folks should be in on the conversation.

- V

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Vince,

Yep, I probably should not have used the word "public". Maybe "external" would have been a better choice.

GideonDalrymple
New Contributor III

Hi Robert,

You have been great with your responses, but I'm kind of a novice when it comes to ArcGIS Server. Is there any documentation or online instructions that I can follow to achieve this? Please see this youtube video. Its exactly what I want to be able to accomplish. ArcGIS Mobile Demo - YouTube

Thanks so much!

Gideon