Basics of deploying an AGOL solution with existing data from SDE system of record

03-08-2023 01:41 PM
SepheFox1
New Contributor III

I posted before asking if anyone had yet deployed the Electric Joint Use Solution, and got no hits, so I'm trying to figure it out alone. In general, I have some gaps in my understanding of how this is supposed to work. We have a GIS system of record existing in an SDE database, but this is an AGOL solution, and uses a feature service which is modeled on the Electric Distribution Data Management solution.

I'm trying to load our existing pole data into the solution, just to try the solution out and see if it's going to work for us, never mind the gorilla in the room of how to reconcile between the two databases on a regular basis. I'm using ArcGISPro 3.1, btw.

I have figured out how to load data using the Append with Transformation tool from the Data Loading Toolbox. Okay, but it appears you can't load data into the hosted feature service directly, but only a local copy. The questions I have are:

What's the correct workflow to create a local copy? Do I export directly from AGOL to a FGDB? Do I load the feature service into Pro and export from there? When I try option 2, a bunch of fields don't export, and it also doesn't maintain relationships. I feel like I'm missing something basic.

How do I edit the subtype domains for the feature service? It doesn't appear possible in AGOL when domains are assigned to subtypes. So do I just edit the local copy subtype domains and then these will be edited when I overwrite the existing feature service?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TedHoward2
Esri Contributor

Regarding loading data - the Append with Transformation tool allows for loading data to a hosted feature service. You should be able to select a service layer in the Target Data parameter.

0 Kudos
SepheFox1
New Contributor III

Oh, you're correct, it does! Maybe it was the Create Data Loading Workspace that wouldn't let me do that. So is that the recommended workflow--to load directly into AGOL? If I could get the subtype domains edited in AGOL then that might simplify things.

0 Kudos
HowardCrothers
Esri Contributor

If you want to talk through what you are trying to do direct message me and we can set up a call. 

0 Kudos
SepheFox1
New Contributor III

Thank you, that would be great. I sent a dm.

0 Kudos
mthompson
New Contributor III

Did you ever figure out how this is supposed to work? Solutions are meaningless to me if I can't use my existing data, and transferring data back and forth between AGOL and SDE seems quite tedious. If there is a help page or something that talks about that I'd love to read through it.

0 Kudos