Citizen Problem Reporter emails and Outlook

Jump to solution
03-23-2023 12:29 PM
TimBlanchard
New Contributor II

I've been working on setting up Citizen Problem Reporter and we really wanted to use the email notification scripts included. However, the scripts seems outdated and SMPT server connection doesn't work with Outlook. My IT people wont let me use an alternative like Gmail because of public records laws, which is understandable. Their recommendation was to see about including OAuth, which I know little about, and they said they didn't know anything about it either. I'm wondering if anyone has encountered anything similar or come up with a different email notification method?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesBurton1
Occasional Contributor

I was using the out of the box script they provide to send emails for a while just with Windows Task Scheduler. Another alternative would be to set-up some automation using a service like "Make" which has connectors for ESRI services. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JamesBurton1
Occasional Contributor

I was using the out of the box script they provide to send emails for a while just with Windows Task Scheduler. Another alternative would be to set-up some automation using a service like "Make" which has connectors for ESRI services. 

0 Kudos
TimBlanchard
New Contributor II

I ended up using Power Automate.

ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

I'm in kind of the same boat, more so just struggling to use the ESRI script. It's a little frustrating that an application like this that relies on cross-department communication doesn't have an easy system of email automation. I suspect I'll wind up using power automate as well.

0 Kudos
AndyShoemaker
Esri Contributor

@TimBlanchard 

Outlook and Microsoft365 can be a bit tricky to get working with the scripts due to upgrades made for TLS 1.2 and higher. 

For this sort of connection, a few things are variable in each system. The following info may help you get moving in the right direction. 

SMTP:  "smtp.office365.com:586"

Username: We've found that the username can change depending on how your organization sets up your  email addresses and authentication. Sometimes the password is the email address your sending from other times it may be the logon account at the email address Ex ( myaccount@email.com instead of myemail@email.com).

Password: This will generally be the password for the email or account used for the username. However, if you are working with Multifactor Authentication, a simple password won't work. Instead you will need to have an app password which can act as your MFA permissions. The workflow linked below can help create the app password (this may require some help from the IT folks depending on your account privilege's). 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/manage-app-passwords-for-two-step-verification-d... 

Hope this helps!
Andy

Andy Shoemaker
0 Kudos