Drive time network in BA

07-22-2011 10:04 AM
AndrewLevy
New Contributor
I read in a previous thread that Desktop BA does not support modifying networks used in creating drive time trade areas.  Is this correct?  Does Desktop BA support creating and using a new network dataset?

Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
I read in a previous thread that Desktop BA does not support modifying networks used in creating drive time trade areas.  Is this correct?  Does Desktop BA support creating and using a new network dataset?

Thanks

Actually only the specific street network that ships with Business Analyst 10 is not able to be editted but creating a new or using any other network dataset is allowed.
0 Kudos
AndrewLevy
New Contributor
Actually only the specific street network that ships with Business Analyst 10 is not able to be editted but creating a new or using any other network dataset is allowed.

Thanks for the response.  I have the extensions turned on (Business Analyst and Network Analyst), but am unable to create a new network dataset through the network analyst toolbar, arc catalog, or the network analyst toolbox.  Does the full-blown Network Analyst extension come with Business Analyst?  Using Arc10.
0 Kudos
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
Thanks for the response.  I have the extensions turned on (Business Analyst and Network Analyst), but am unable to create a new network dataset through the network analyst toolbar, arc catalog, or the network analyst toolbox.  Does the full-blown Network Analyst extension come with Business Analyst?  Using Arc10.

In ArcCatalog go to Customize>Extensions and make sure that Network Analyst is checked.  Then go to or create a new File Geodatabase.  Once the geodatabase is created right click and go to New>Create Feature Dataset.  After it is created you can right click on the feature dataset and go to New>Network Dataset.

Network Analyst has a pretty good tutorial also that could help you out.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Exercise_1_Creating_a_network_dataset/...
0 Kudos