How to aggregate census data to custom geometry?

Jump to solution
02-09-2012 04:13 AM
SaraKidd
Occasional Contributor
I have a custom grid polygon that needs to inherit 2010 census population numbers. I have access to the online BO census and I also have the census blocks which I downloaded from the Census directly. I think I need to set up a custom BDS and then do a spatial overlay but I don't think I am doing things in the right order or understanding how the data should be set up. The grid only has a unique ID. I need to know the total population inside each grid polygon. Should my grid or the blocks be the BDS? Or both? Or should I use the online data?

Anytime I run the spatial overlay, I get some kind of stack error or wrong key error.

Can anyone outline a step by step?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KristenCarroll
New Contributor III
Hi Sara,
There is currently a known issue with accessing updated census data from within Business Analyst desktop.  Therefore, your error message could be due to this bug.  As a test, you could try just adding one of the 2000 census variables, e.g. 2000 total population.  The good news is that the developers have pinpointed the issue and expect to have a fix in place as early as next week.   If you are still getting an error message with the census 2000 variables, or are getting an error message after early next week, please call 888-377-4575 X2 and have a support incident created so someone can further troubleshoot with you.

Here are the steps to append updated census data in Business Analyst desktop:
1.  From the Business Analyst toolbar > Preferences > Online tab, log into your global account and check the box to 'Show Online Data (in Color Coded Maps Toolbar and Analysis tools)'.  NOTE:  This step assumes you have already had your global account connected by having emailed your username and customer number to ba_onlineacess@esri.com.
2.  Create your grid layer.
3.  From the Analysis toolbar > Create New Analysis > Market Analysis > Append Data (Spatial Overlay) >  Data Source = Use Online Data, Overlay Layer = grid layer created in step above > add the desired variable(s) to the right window > name the analyis and choose Finish.

In case you are interested, there is a related blog on this subject:  http://blogs.esri.com/Dev/blogs/businessanalyst/archive/2011/12/19/How-to-get-the-2011_2F00_2016-Esr...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
KristenCarroll
New Contributor III
Hi Sara,
There is currently a known issue with accessing updated census data from within Business Analyst desktop.  Therefore, your error message could be due to this bug.  As a test, you could try just adding one of the 2000 census variables, e.g. 2000 total population.  The good news is that the developers have pinpointed the issue and expect to have a fix in place as early as next week.   If you are still getting an error message with the census 2000 variables, or are getting an error message after early next week, please call 888-377-4575 X2 and have a support incident created so someone can further troubleshoot with you.

Here are the steps to append updated census data in Business Analyst desktop:
1.  From the Business Analyst toolbar > Preferences > Online tab, log into your global account and check the box to 'Show Online Data (in Color Coded Maps Toolbar and Analysis tools)'.  NOTE:  This step assumes you have already had your global account connected by having emailed your username and customer number to ba_onlineacess@esri.com.
2.  Create your grid layer.
3.  From the Analysis toolbar > Create New Analysis > Market Analysis > Append Data (Spatial Overlay) >  Data Source = Use Online Data, Overlay Layer = grid layer created in step above > add the desired variable(s) to the right window > name the analyis and choose Finish.

In case you are interested, there is a related blog on this subject:  http://blogs.esri.com/Dev/blogs/businessanalyst/archive/2011/12/19/How-to-get-the-2011_2F00_2016-Esr...
0 Kudos